A delicious mixture of sauteed Cauliflower, Oatmeal Crusted crispy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside chicken on a bed of Middle eastern rice.
With my school work, the girls, and my husband in medical school we hardly ever see each other anymore. I can’t recall the last time we ate dinner together. Today, he surprised me and came home early! It was really nice to eat dinner as a family for a change. I decided to make this delicious rice with oatmeal crusted chicken and sauteed green cauliflower. This is the type of food I grew up with.
The rice is cooked with potatoes and spiced with cardamon and cloves. The cardamons and cloves are used in most middle eastern rice and jambalaya dishes, they give the rice a wonderful aroma. The chicken is seasoned and coated with instant oatmeal flakes. I used oatmeal flakes because they are much crunchier and tastier than regular bread crumbs. I also sauteed some green cauliflower and garlic in the oil that I used for the chicken.
All the flavors work really well together. I loved the softness of the potatoes in the rice and the crispness of the chicken.
Oatmeal Crusted Chicken with sauteed Green Cauliflower and Middle Eastern Rice
- For the Chicken
- 2 boneless chicken breasts ( Or any other cut of chicken)
- ½ cup dry instant oatmeal
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- cilantro (optional)
- oil for frying
- For the Rice
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 potatoes
- ½ onion diced
- 1 garlic clove diced
- 3 cloves
- 3 cardamoms
- For the Cauliflower
- ½ head of green or white cauliflower
- 1 clove of garlic diced
- For the rice
- Wash the rice and soak in warm water for 5-10 minutes.
- peal and slice one potato into circles. place in large pot with 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the diced onion, 1 clove of garlic, cardamom, cloves, and 1 tsp salt. simmer for 2 minutes, add the rice. Cover and cook on low-medium heat for 10-12 minutes
- Chicken: Wash the chicken, add the salt, pepper, cilantro, and cayenne pepper. Add the flour and oats, mix until fully coated.
- Heat a pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Cook the chicken in the oil for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from oil and place on drying rack.
- After removing the chicken from the oil, saute the green cauliflower in the same oil. Add the garlic after 5 minutes and saute for an additional minute.
- Serve warm.