What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think bread sticks?
For me it’s CARBS. That’s usually my biggest weakness/guilty pleasure. Luckily, I’ve found a way around my beloved carbs! These cauliflower bread sticks use cauliflower for the base instead of the usual flour/dough.
Although these cheesy bread sticks are low-carb they aren’t particularly low-fat but they are a much healthier alternative to regular bread sticks and great for people on a low-carb diet. Plus, you can also use low-fat cheese and make it work for you if you are concerned about the calories.
Oh dear cheesy cauliflower crust “bread-sticks” how much I love thee….
Ehm ehm.. back to reality.
So let’s talk about the recipe for these delicious cauliflower bread sticks now. This recipe is for a fairly regular size batch of bread sticks. It feeds about 3-4 people. To make more just double the recipe and make two pies.
To get started your going to need about 2 cups of cauliflower florets. Next step is processing the cauliflower in the food processor until it resemble a rice/couscous texture. There really is no “perfect” texture for so just eye-ball it. After that you’re going to steam the cauliflower (after it’s been riced) in the microwave for 5-7 minutes.
Now allow the cauliflower to cool for at least 5-10 minutes (trust me! just walk away or prepare the other ingredients because it’s not worth burning your hands. Lesson learned… )
Once the cauliflower has cooled, go ahead and combine it with 2 eggs, the cheese, italian spices, and about 2-3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs (optional, please see note below). Next, Shape the crust into a square and bake until golden. Remove from oven and add the toppings then place bake in the oven until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
Now the best part! Remove from the oven and enjoy these cheesy delicious low card bread sticks with marinara sauce or your favorite dipping sauce :)!
Low-Carb Cauliflower Crust Bread sticks
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- ½ cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese or tex-mex cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-3 tablespoons italian breadcrumbs (optional: please see note below)
- 2 tablespoons softened light butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- *Optional Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Rinse cauliflower separate into florets. Place cauliflower florets in a food processor and process until it reaches a rice/couscous texture.
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave container and cover with lid or plastic wrap. Microwavable for 5-7 minutes. Place the microwaved cauliflower in a large bowl and add the eggs, Parmesan and Mozzarella, oregano, crushed garlic and stir until combined.
- Transfer to the baking stone or sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a large rectangle
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Mix 2 the tablespoons butter and diced garlic in a small bowl then spread the butter and garlic mixture over baked cauliflower bread and top with Parmesan and Mozzarella cheeses.
- Place back in the 400 degree oven for 5 minutes or until all the cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Slice and Serve with warm marinara or your favorite dipping sauce!
NotesThe breadcrumbs are optional and should be used if you feel that the mixture is a little too wet to shape. I personally like using the breadcrumbs in the crust and usually add at least a tablespoon or two to hold the dough together and give it some extra flavor.
If you do not own a food processor then steam the cauliflower florets in the microwave first then dice them up with a knife. I've done that before in my cauliflower tots recipe and it worked perfectly
If you do not own a microwave you may steam the cauliflower over medium heat for 5 minutes then dice it with a knife or quickly process it in the food processor. Be sure to steam it BEFORE processing or dicing.