Chicken breast that’s juicy and tender on the inside with a spicy taco herb crust can be grilled or pan seared and makes a perfect topping for salad, in tacos, quesadillas or on rice.
If I had to choose a cut of meat that I cook with most, chicken breasts would win for sure. I love cooking with chicken breast because it’s lean and helps you lose weight. Plus, chicken breasts are good in just about any dish. The possibilities are endless!
Yesterday, I mentioned on my instagram that I’m working on a few new healthy chicken recipes for you and this taco spiced chicken is one of those recipes.
This taco spiced chicken is everything! It’s seasoned with the most aromatic homemade taco seasoning and grilled to perfection. It’s great on salad, in quesadillas, tacos, or on rice. I like to add jalapeno, tomatoes, and onion to the pan or grilled when I making this chicken. They become tender and charred and soak up all the yummy juices and spices from the chicken.
To begin simply rub the homemade taco spice on your chicken. I like to use a blend of homemade spices but you can also use a taco seasoning packet.
Next, heat up a grill pan (or your grill) to medium/high heat and lightly drizzle with oil so the chicken doesn’t stick. Grill the chicken until the outside is dark and charred and the inside reaches a temp of 160-165 F.
At this point feel free to add jalapeno, tomatoes, onions, and/or bell peppers to the pan and cook them for just a few minutes. If you’re making the chicken on a grill place the veggies on the grill the same time as the chicken.
I served my chicken with cilantro lime rice and drizzled it with greek yogurt.
Grilled Taco and Lime Spiced Chicken
- For the taco seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, sliced (optional)
- 1 tomato, sliced (optional)
- 2 jalapeno, de-seeded (optional)
- 1 Lime for drizzling
- Taco seasoning (packet or homemade recipe)
- In a small bowl, combine the spices. Drizzle spice mixture onto chicken breasts until coated evenly.
- Pre-heat grill or pan to medium high heat. Drizzle oil on heated grill and allow to cook until the inside is tender and no longer pink (about 12-15 minutes or until internal temperature of 165 degrees F), turning as needed.
- Add onion, tomato, jalapeno, and lime wedges 2 minutes before removing chicken from pan or grill. Drizzle with lime.
- Serve chicken on salads, in quesadillas, tacos, or with rice. Drizzle with yogurt or sour cream when serving.