Crispy sesame cauliflower ‘chicken’ bites are crispy, sticky, spicy, sweet and make the perfect appetizer or snack!
This is my 3rd cauliflower bites recipe and it just keeps getting better you guys. These cauliflower sesame “chicken” bites taste so much better than chicken and are crispy & sticky on the outside, and tender on the inside. Plus, they are pretty easy to whip up and make an extremely tasty snack.
So as usual, I made these delicious bites and offered some to my daughter as sesame chicken bites. She noticed they are cauliflower rather than chicken but said they tasted so good, she didn’t even care it was cauliflower. Yes you guys, I swear they’re that good. An explosion of Asian flavors as soon as you bite into one.
They can be fried or baked and they taste AMAZINGLY delicious both ways but I honestly prefer the fried version because frying them makes them extra crispy and as a result they become nice and sticky when you add them to the sauce. With that begin said, if you’re on a diet or watching your health, then the fried version is probably not worth it. I’ve shared the baked and fried versions below. Enjoy <3
Sesame Cauliflower Bites
- For the Cauliflower:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 cup oil for frying (omit if baking)
- sesame seeds for garnish
- For the sauce:
- 1 teaspoon sesame or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons honey (or sugar)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- In a large shallow bowl combine the flour, cornstarch and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs. Dip cauliflower florets in the egg mixture then into the flour mixture.
- To bake cauliflower: Preheat the oven to 420 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.Transfer breaded cauliflower to baking sheet. Spray with coking spray or drizzle with oil. Bake for 30 minutes, turning halfway.
- To fry cauliflower: Heat 1 cup oil in a medium pan on medium high heat. Place cauliflower in oil once it's heated and cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden.
- To make sauce: while the cauliflower is cooking, prepare the sauce. Pour oil to a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute or until garlic begins to brown. Add all the remaining ingredients and bring it to a boil. Whisk until smooth and thick.
- Once the cauliflower has browned, remove it from the oven or oil and place it in a large bowl. Pour sauce over cauliflower and toss until fully coated. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately. with rice, noodles, veggies or alone..
Nutritional Facts for Baked version:Nutritional Facts for fried version: