Crispy mini baked tortilla shells filled with fresh guacamole and taco spiced shrimp. This healthy appetizer is ready in under 20 minutes is only 52 calories per bite!
You’re going to fall head over heels in love with these mini avocado shrimp bites. A bite of one of these cups is a flavor explosion in your mouth. I promise you can’t just have one because these little bites are that good.
The shrimp is seasoned with taco seasoning and pan seared just until tender, but that’s not even the best part of this whole dish. The star of this dish is these mini tortilla cups. They are made using regular flour tortillas which are cut into small circles and baked until crispy. They make perfect mini bowls to hold up the guacamole and shrimp! And because they’re baked not fried, I’m going to add them to my healthy list considering they a mini tortilla cup with guacamole and shrimp is just 52 calories. To begin, cut out small circles from large flour tortillas using a cookie cutter, cup, jar or any round object you have. You should be able to get about 8-9 small circles out of each large flour tortilla.
Brush the circles with olive oil, place in mini muffin tins (you can use regular size muffin tins if you don’t have mini) and bake until golden.
Tip: to avoid waste, take the leftover tortilla and cut it into small strips, spray with cooking spray or brush with oil and bake in a sheet pan until golden. This makes the best healthy tortilla strips!
Now let’s talk about the one thing everyone’s here for. The spicy pan seared shrimp! This recipe is as easy as it gets and honestly, this shrimp goes great on everything. I use it in tacos, burritos bowls, and salads.
To make the shrimp simple combine 1 pound of shrimp with half a packet of taco seasoning. Pour a few teaspoons of olive oil in a nonstick pan and heat until the pan is very hot. Add the shrimp and cook just 2 minutes per side. This makes the most flavorful spicy shrimp ever.
Now all that’s left is assembly. Simply add about a teaspoon of guacamole into each tortilla cup, top with a shrimp and sprinkle with lemon zest. Pop one in your mouth and I dare you not to go for another one!
Healthy Shrimp Avocado Bites
- 3 large flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ packet taco seasoning
- For the guacamole:
- 2 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- pinch ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray cups of a 24 cup mini muffin tin or a standard size 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make tortilla cups: Using a 3 inch cookie cutter or cup, cut about 8-9 medium circles out of each tortilla. Brush each circle with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Press each circle into a muffin cup. Bake 10-12 minutes or until cups are golden and crispy.
- To make guacamole: In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados. Mix in onion, tomatoes, cilantro, cayenne, salt and lime juice. Stir until fully combined, cover and set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- To cook shrimp: Combine shrimp with taco seasoning in a large bowl or ziplock bag. Heat a large heavy-duty or cast iron skillet on high heat for 2 minutes. Add the olive oil and shrimp. Cook shrimp in a skillet on medium-high heat until pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble: Fill each mini tortilla cup with about 1 teaspoon of guacamole (use 2 tablespoons for regular size cups). Top guacamole with 1 shrimp and sprinkle with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Serve immediately.