Moist lightened-up banana bread made with honey, olive oil, yogurt and topped with a cinnamon crumble.I get excited whenever we have over-ripe because I know it’s time for banana bread. Banana bread is one of the easiest and most delicious bread you can make. Over the past few years, I’ve shared a few of my favorite banana bread recipes with you all and this one is another favorite.
It’s a healthier lightened up version of my original banana bread. It’s topped with a crunchy cinnamon crumble that is to die for. The bread itself contains no butter or sugar but the crumble itself does contain 2 tablespoons of butter but it’s totally worth it!
Healthier Cinnamon Crunch Banana Bread
- 1¾ cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup melted coconut or olive oil
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2-3 medium bananas)
- For the Crumb Topping:
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 325F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, honey, milk and vanilla for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the mashed bananas and flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Pour batter into greased pan, sprinkle with crumble. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, slice and enjoy!
- To make the streusel topping:Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and softened butter in a small bowl until well mixed. Crumble over top of the banana bread before baking.
NotesTo make this bread gluten-free: Use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour.
For dairy-free/vegan: use almond milk and flax eggs and maple syrup.
*Trader Joe's has white whole wheat flour that is also great for this bread.