Healthy Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna Roll-Ups stuffed with ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella cheese. These tasty zucchini rolls present very well and make a tasty light low carb and gluten free dinner.
Zucchini makes it super easy to transform any dish into a lighter, healthier alternative. Zucchini is the perfect replacement for pasta because it’s very easy to shape and becomes soft when cooked.
Today, we are transforming zucchini into lasagna and rolling them up with creamy ricotta, parmesan, marinara sauce and lots of mozzarella cheese. If you’d prefer not to serve these as rolls, you can always just lay the zucchini flat in the pan and layer the cheese and sauce like a regular lasagna. Also, if vegetarian is not your thing, you can also use meat sauce and transform these lasagna rolls into meaty dinner too!
Here are a few tips to make the perfect zucchini rolls!
- To make perfect zucchini rolls, the zucchini should be sliced into very thin 1/8th inch slices. You can do this by hand or use a mandoline slicer. Please watch the video below to see how I sliced them with a knife.
- To draw all the water out of the zucchini so you don’t end up with water lasagna, the zucchini is first roasted in the oven for 15 minutes. This step also helps soften it and make it easier for rolling.
Low-Carb Zucchini Lasagna Roll-Ups
- 4 large zucchini
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded (divided)
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups marinara home-made or store-bought
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a sheet pan with 1 tablespoon oil and set aside.
Slice zucchini into 1/8'' thick slices. Lay zucchini slices on grease sheet pan and oven roast for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before handling. Leave oven on for cooking the casserole.
While the zucchini is roasting, mix the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1 egg, and salt & pepper to taste. Stir just until combined.
In a 9x13 casserole dish, spread some homemade tomato sauce on the bottom.
Assemble zucchini roll ups by laying a zucchini strip on a flat surface and spread about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture first over each individual zucchini strip. Top with a tablespoon os marinara sauce and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. Roll up and place in casserole dish. Repeat with remaining rolls. Drizzle remaining sauce (if any) on the rolls and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes at 400F or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.