This nutritious air fryer chicken and veggies recipe is so EASY to make and full of flavor. It makes a complete and healthy low-carb or keto meal in under 20 minutes!
You can feel good about serving such a healthy and delightful with fresh and tasty ingredients. The roasted chicken is succulent, moist, and delicious, while the veggies add flavor and color to the meal.
You don’t have to worry about breading this air fryer chicken either. The seasonings are perfect and are the best combination with the chicken and vegetables. And if you want to try different flavor combinations with various seasonings, this air fried chicken is a great base recipe. It always makes me happy to cook dishes that I can change here and there depending on how I feel that day.
It always feels good to eat food that is fresh and has lots of vegetables. This way, I know we are getting plenty of healthy nutrients and not filling up on junk food all the time. It’s naturally low carb, gluten-free, and dairy-free too. Plus, the fact that you can make this meal in less than 20 minutes will allow you to make it even on those nights when you have a lot going on.
Can you ever get enough meals that dirty up one pan or, in this case, the air fryer? I know I can’t! Clean-up is seriously a breeze, and you’ll be happy that you tried it.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE HEALTHY AIR FRYER CHICKEN AND VEGGIES
- Chicken breasts: Chopping the chicken breast up ahead of time will make it cook evenly and faster. The bigger the pieces they are, the longer it will take.
- Bell peppers: Chop up your favorite color of bell peppers or a combination of any of them. I love red because they add color and are a little sweeter but go with what you like best.
- Zucchini: Roasting zucchini in the air fryer tastes impressive! You are going to want to cook it this way a lot after you taste it. Yum!
- Broccoli: One thing I love about this air fryer recipe is that you can easily use fresh broccoli or frozen. This is wonderful when you don’t have fresh ones on hand.
- Onion: Chop up some onions, and they will add lots of flavor to the chicken and veggies.
- Garlic: The garlic is optional because we are already using garlic powder but it adds so much flavor and is highly recommended!
- Olive oil: When it comes to cooking in your air fryer, you don’t need a lot of oil. It’s a much healthier option than deep fat frying food the way you get in a fast-food chain.
- Seasonings: I love using a combination of seasonings to add flavor to the chicken and vegetables. Garlic powder, chili powder (or paprika), salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning are my go-to flavors. However, you could use lemon-pepper, cajun, or anything else you like.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES
Making this air fryer chicken recipe couldn’t be any easier. Simply chop the vegetables and chicken into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large bowl.
Mix together the oil and seasonings and coat the chicken and veggies evenly. Then put the chicken and vegetables in the air fryer and cook. After they have cooked for 5 minutes or so, give them a shake and continue cooking. Keep cooking until the chicken is done, and everything has a char on it. You may need to work in batches if your air fryer isn’t very big.
CAN I USE BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN THIGHS INSTEAD OF BREASTS?
Yes, using boneless, skinless chicken thighs is an excellent alternative to chicken breasts. You could also use turkey or pork as well. The foundation of this recipe is easily adjustable, and that is what makes it so versatile.
CAN I USE DIFFERENT VEGETABLES?
Yes, this recipe will work with most quick-cooking veggies such as asparagus, string beans, broccoli, bell pepper, onion, zucchini and much more!
To use root vegetables, simply air fry them for 10 minutes before adding the rest of the veggies and chicken.
CAN I ROAST THEM IN THE OVEN INSTEAD?
Yes, Roasting the chicken and veggies in the oven is the process is the same as air frying and yields similar results but the air fryer is much faster and easier to clean up.
To bake in the oven, preheat oven to 450F and roast on a sheet pan for 15-20 minutes or until charred and cooked through.
Alternatively, we have a full post on how to make them in the oven here: 15 Minute Chicken and Veggies
Healthy Air Fryer Chicken and Veggies (20 Minute!)
- 1 pound chicken breast, chopped into bite-size pieces (2-3 medium chicken breasts)
- 1 cup broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper chopped (any colors you like)
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloved garlic minced or crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH garlic powder, chili powder, salt, pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or spice blend of choice)
- Preheat air fryer to 400F.
- Chop the veggies and chicken into small bite-size pieces and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and seasoning to the bowl and toss to combine.
- Add the chicken and veggies to the preheated air fryer and cook for 10 minutes, shaking halfway, or until the chicken and veggies are charred and chicken is cooked through. If your air fryer is small, you may have to cook them in 2-3 batches.