Healthy Broccoli bites are loaded with broccoli, cheese, herbs, and spices. This super nutritious snack is Low Carb and makes a delicious protein replacement, appetizer or snack! These tiny broccoli balls have been my go-to for years. I use them as a meat replacement (meatballs), as a snack and I feed them to my kids. They love them so much that they don’t care that they’re eating broccoli! If I had to pick one superfoods recipe on the website this would be it. They’re super nutritious and loaded with lots of vitamins, protein, and fiber.
I shared an identical recipe (broccoli tots) to these a few years back and have been getting tons of positive feedback from happy readers. This time around, we’ve simplified the recipe, made it easier to shape, and adapted it to a low-carb diet making these broccoli bites even healthier!
To Make Broccoli Balls You Will Need
To get started with this recipe you will need a few basic ingredients that are completely adaptable to your taste.
Broccoli: Fresh or frozen broccoli will work. Measure 2 cups of florets.
Cheese: Cheddar, mozzarella, taco blend or your favorite melting cheese.
Almond flour: Almond flour is used for keto and low-carb diets. Panko breadcrumbs or Italian breadcrumbs will also work although not low carb.
Egg: Large whole egg or flax egg for vegan.
Herbs: Cilantro, parsley or any blend of fresh herbs.
Spices: Taco, Cajun, Italian, or your favorite spice blend.
Onion: Chopped onion, shallots, or scallions (optional)
How To Make Riced Broccoli
In the Food Processor: Pulse in a food processor and pulse for 15-20 seconds or until the broccoli is fine.
By Hand: You can rice the broccoli by chopping it with a knife until it is finely chopped.
Prepared: Alternatively, you can find riced broccoli in the freezer aisle at your local supermarket.
Can You Freeze Broccoli Balls?
Absolutely! Having a batch of these healthy balls in the freezer will ensure you always have a healthy snack on hand and never run out.
To Freeze, Spread uncooked broccoli balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze for about 2 hours then transfer to a large zip-seal bag and freeze up to 3 months. To Bake, place into the oven directly from the freezer. Additionally, you can also freeze the balls after baking if preferred.
To Reheat: After baking, cover any leftovers in an airtight container or with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 3 days. To reheat leftovers or cooked balls, microwave or bake in toaster oven until warmed through.
Broccoli Cheese Balls: Low Carb Keto
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour or panko or Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded cheese mozzarella, cheddar, or favorite melting cheese
- 1/4 cup minced onion or shallots optional
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped optional
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or taco seasoning or favorite seasoning blend!
- Pinch of salt and pepper black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Steam broccoli in boiling water or microwave* (see notes) until tender. Chop broccoli using a knife or food processor until finely minced.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped broccoli, eggs, almond flour, cheese, parsley, and spices. Mix until well incorporated.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of mixture and form into a ball. Place on lined baking sheet and spray or drizzle lightly with oil. Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through.
- Serve on a salad, in a sandwich, with rice, or as an appetizer or snack with your favorite dipping sauce.