Ever since my husband started medical school, he’s been very cautious about us eating healthier. After moving to Philadelphia and discovering a Chipotle nearby, it became our go-to place for “fast food”. It’s so much healthier, tastier, and fresher than any other fast food place I can think of. Once you try it once you seriously become hooked!
After eating like a million burrito bowls I decided to start making it at home. It soon became a family favorite and now I find myself making it every week. When you are a food blogger and you make something even twice, you know it’s good! My husband usually opts in for the steak version and I usually go for the chicken. This recipe works well for any cut of meat you have.
I love veggies so I add a whole bunch of just about everything. I used red, yellow, and orange-red bell peppers, tomato, red onion, romaine lettuce, black beans, corn, cilantro, and scallions. If your the type of person that doesn’t like veggies so much, you can play around with the combination to suit your taste.
Recently I started preparing a big batch of everything (marinated chicken, cooked rice, diced salad) and leaving it in the fridge. Whenever we are hungry I just throw some chicken on the grill and arrange it on some rice and top with the salad. It’s a great way for moms to prepare a healthier meal.
For the Chicken Marinade
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts Halves
- 1/2 a Lime juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 packet taco spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste optional
For the Rice
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 lime
- bunch of cilantro
For the Burrito Salad
- 3/4 cup sliced bell peppers any color combo
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup of canned corn
- 1/2 cup of canned black beans
- 1 cup chopped Romain lettuce
- 2 scallions chopped
- small bunch of cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Wash rice in a large bowl under cold water for 2-5 minutes until the water runs clear. Soak for at least 5 minutes. Boil 3.5 cups of water in a large saucepan, pour rice and let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until the water has dried into the rice and the rice is soft. Place 2 tablespoons of butter on the rice to melt with the heat off, Cover and set aside.The cilantro and lime will be added later before serving.
- In a medium bowl Mix the halved chicken breast with the olive oil, tomato paste, taco spice mix. Squeeze half of a lime into the mixture and mix. Cover the chicken and allow to marinate in the fridge for anywhere from 15 minutes-3 days.
- Heat a grill, griddle or pan over medium-high heat, place chicken on grilled and cook for 5 minutes on each side. remove from heat and set aside.
- While the chicken is on the grill, chop all of the veggies and salad.
- After the chicken has finished cooking and the rice is ready, In a medium bowl toss the rice with minced cilantro, salt and the juice of half a lime. Spoon the rice into bowls, top with salad mixture (beans, corn, bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, cilantro). Place chicken on top and top with 1 teaspoon of sour cream and chopped scallions.
- Enjoy cold or warm!