I baked these cookies for the Great Food Blogger’s Cookie Swap. This was my first year participating in the cookie swap and I’m sure glad I did.
I had the opportunity to make 3 batches of cookies to 3 random food bloggers and I also received 3 surprise batches of cookies (how fun!). The bloggers do not know who’s sending their cookies, so it’s pretty fun to wait and see who you have been paired up with and better yet, what type of cookies you will be receiving!Guess what else? it’s not just for U.S bloggers; food bloggers from around the world participated. That’s over 500 batches of cookies baked and shipped with love all over the world.
This amazing cookie swap is cookie swap coordinated and led by Lindsay from Love and Olive Oil and Julie from The Little Kitchen. These two ladies are incredible! They worked super hard to make sure everyone was paired up with the perfect buddy, everyone received their cookies on time and made sure everything ran smoothly.
Now heres the best part, All proceeds this year go to support Cookies for Kids’ Cancer, an amazing non-profit organization that helps fund research in the fight against pediatric cancer. $12,335 was raised this year for the organization. How awesome is that! It feels great to know that food bloggers are able to make a small change in the world.
Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies + Food Blogger Cookie SwapPrint Rate
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered confectioners or icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- In the bowl of your electric mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy; about 1 minute). Add the sugar and beat until smooth; about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract. Gently stir in the flour mixture just until incorporated. Flatten the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill the dough for at least an 30 minutes until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough into a 1/4 inch thick. Cut into Star or other shapes then place on the prepared baking sheets. Place in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes then Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, or until cookies are very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- To Dip Cookies: When the cookies are cool, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place 3 ounces of the chocolate in a glass bowl and microwave on high power for 30 seconds;Stir, continue to heat, stirring in 30-second increments until the chocolate is just melted. Add the remaining chocolate and allow it to sit at room temperature, stirring often, until it's completely smooth. Stir until the chocolate is smooth and slightly cooled.
If you’re a blogger and you didn’t get the chance to participate this year, don’t forget to head over there and sign up to receive notifications when next year’s #fbcookieswap begins!