It takes less than 30 minutes and just one pan to make this healthy creamy lemon garlic chicken with asparagus. It’s perfect for busy weeknights and is super flavorful and just 7g net carbs! The chicken and freshly cooked asparagus are surrounded with delicious lemon garlic cream sauce that’s absolutely incredible.
I’m a huge fan of chicken dishes because everyone tends to devour them. Plus, chicken is so easy to cook and tastes wonderful with all sorts of ingredients. I especially can’t get enough of this creamy garlic chicken because it’s a complete meal and you only need one pan. You could serve it with a salad or eat it by itself, and either way and you will feel fulfilled.
Once you taste this creamy lemon garlic parmesan chicken, you are going to want to keep this in your regular rotation. It even works well if you want to meal prep and have a simple lunch idea. Try it for yourself, and I’m pretty sure you’ll be hooked in no time.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE CREAMY LEMON GARLIC CHICKEN WITH ASPARAGUS
- Chicken Breasts: I love using boneless chicken breasts for this recipe because they are juicy, and the texture is great. If you want, you could also use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Asparagus: You get so many nutrients from adding asparagus, and you don’t have to dirty a second dish. Win-win!
- Heavy Cream: As you can imagine, the creamy sauce is so rich and amazing due to the heavy cream. It makes it taste like it was made in a restaurant instead of at home!
- Italian Seasoning: You just need a couple of teaspoons of Italian seasoning, and it enhances this already tasty dish.
- Salt & Pepper: Just use as much salt and pepper as you prefer.
- Olive Oil: I love cooking with olive oil when making chicken recipes. You can choose to go with another oil if you’d rather.
- Butter: Typically, I reach for unsalted butter and add in my own salt. It’s okay to use salted butter if that is all you have, but you probably won’t need to add much salt to the chicken.
- Onion: Minced onion adds flavor and depth to the garlic chicken. Yum!
- Garlic: Mince up anywhere from 3 or 4 garlic cloves. It tastes incredible!
- Lemon: The lemon adds a fresh and zesty flavor to the cream sauce and compliments the garlic and cream very well. It’s actually optional but highly recommend!
- Parmesan Cheese: It’s completely optional to add parmesan. I rarely make it without because it just gives it that extra flavor boost.
HOW TO COOK CREAMY LEMON GARLIC CHICKEN WITH ASPARAGUS
When you sink your teeth into this juicy, tender chicken, you won’t believe you can whip it up in less than 30 minutes, but it’s true! Begin by seasoning the chicken and cooking it until it’s done.
Take the cooked chicken out of the pan and set it aside and begin cooking the asparagus and onions in melted butter. Once they are tender add in the heavy cream, Lemon Juice, cheese, and salt and pepper. Mix all the ingredients together and place the chicken back into the skillet. Simmer until the sauce is thick and add any extra salt and pepper you want. Serve hot and enjoy!
CAN I MAKE THIS CREAMY GARLIC CHICKEN FOR MEAL PREPPING?
Yes, you can easily make this as a meal prep option. Simply put one piece of chicken and divide the asparagus and sauce evenly in an airtight food container. The creamy chicken will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
To reheat, place the chicken and asparagus on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a paper towel. Warm it up for a few minutes until it’s hot all the way through. If you have access to a stove when you’re reheating, you can also warm it in a skillet on medium heat. No matter which method you choose, just warm it until it’s hot, so the chicken doesn’t dry out.
Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken with Asparagus (30 Minutes!)
- 4 medium chicken breasts, (boneless, skinless)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp EACH crushed red pepper, salt, pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, (divided)
- 1 pound asparagus, (trimmed and cut in 3rds)
- 1/2 cup onion, (minced)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- Season chicken with Italian seasoning, crushed chili pepper, salt & pepper. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add butter onion, and asparagus to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until just tender. Add the garlic and cook for just under a minute.
- Add heavy cream, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese; stir to combine. Return chicken to the pan and simmer 3-4 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Taste and adjust salt & pepper if needed. If the sauce is too thick, add 1/4 cup water, chicken stock or broth.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.