Weeknights are our “quick and easy” meal nights. Let’s face it, nobody wants to spend 2 hours in the kitchen after coming home from work; it’s just not worth it. On weeknights I like making meals that are quick and easy because by 4 p.m I’m way to tired to cook.
Pepper steak on white rice is one of my favorite weeknight meals. It’s simple, quick, and easy. It’s one of those meals where you basically toss all the ingredients into a pan and pretend your a chef.. No really, it’s that easy!
I usually buy the pre cut “strip steak” because I don’t have to worry about cutting and strip steak works very well in stir fryies. I’ve made this recipe with chicken breasts and it was just as good as beef. The ingredient list looks quite lengthy but it’s actually pretty simple and does not take that long to prepare. This dish only needs about 8-10 minutes to cook because the steak cooks pretty fast. Be sure not to overcook the meat because it will become chewy when overcooked.
For those of you that are wondering what the yellow sauce is, I topped the pepper steak with onion dressing. It taste really good on it!
- 1 lb strip steak cut into 1/2-1 inch thick strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat a skillet to medium/hot heat and add the olive oil, beef strips, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced bell peppers, sliced onions, sugar, black pepper, salt, and soy sauce. Saute for 3-5 minutes or until the onions and beef are cooked. Be sure not to overcook the meat because it will become chewy when overcooked. Serve warm on rice or separate.