Since spring started we have been barbequing all the time now but this week I decided to take a break from barbequing and make some home style meals indoors. One of my favorite weeknight dinners is this extra crispy spicy fried chicken.
I started making this recipe a few years ago and now it has become a family favorite. I remember once running out of breadcrumbs so I decided to use corn flour instead and the chicken came out so good. It’s nice and crunchy from the outside and moist and spicy on the inside.
This fried chicken recipe is super easy to make and can be marinated ahead of time up to 2 days or as soon as 1 hours before frying. I usually marinate the chicken for 1 hour but the longer it marinates the spicier the chicken will be! All you need for the marinade is 1/2 cup of hot pepper sauce. If the sauce is the type that is super hot then just use 1/3 cup.
I usually make this recipe with drumsticks but sometimes I use boneless chicken breasts and cut them into strips to make spicy chicken strips.
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 cup hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 3-4 cups oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place the chicken in a large ziplock bag or bowl then Pour sauce over chicken, seal bag and shake. Refrigerate to marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F in a large heavy duty skillet or deep fryer. While the oil is heating combine the flour, corn meal, salt and pepper in another resealable plastic bag. One at a time, place chicken pieces in bag, seal and shake to coat.
- Fry chicken pieces in oil for about 20 to 25 minutes , or until cooked through and juices run clear. Drain on paper towels and serve.