Learn how to make the BEST mouth-watering cinnamon rolls at home. These cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing are chewy, soft & fluffy and will become your go-to cinnamon rolls!
They’re easy to make and can be prepared the night before for a quick grab-and-go treat.
It was really great to wake up this morning to fresh cinnamon rolls. I threw these babies in the oven at 7 am and by 8 the whole apartment felt like a little Amish bakery.
I don’t know why a lot of people think it’s hard to make cinnamon rolls! It’s very easy and rewarding. It’s just a matter of waiting for them to rise ( it’s like magic isn’t it?) and I’m very impatient.
Trust me it’s 100% worth it and I promise the result is the fluffiest and most tasty cinnamon rolls you will ever have!
How to Make Cinnamon Rolls from Scratch
Making cinnamon rolls is a 3 part process.
- You will need to first make the dough and allow it to rise.
- Next is the buttery cinnamon sugar filling
- And lastly the delicious cream cheese frosting
To get started, gather all the ingredients for the dough and knead the dough in a stand mixer until soft. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and allow it to rise for 1 hour.
While the dough is rising, combine your brown sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
Next, spread out your dough onto a floured countertop or mat and roll it into a rectangle. Brush the butter onto the dough then top generously with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Now cut the dough into 8-10 equal pieces and allow to rise again for another 30 minutes. This step will allow the dough to rise even more and become extra soft, fluffy, and pillowy.
Last, bake your cinnamon rolls and prepare the frosting while they’re baking.
Drizzle the giving over the slightly cooled cinnamon rolls and enjoy!
How to Store Fresh Cinnamon Rolls
After the cinnamon rolls have completely cooled, cover with plastic wrap or foil or place in an airtight container.
If you will consume them within the next 2 days, simply leaving them on the counter at room temperature works best. You can also transfer to the fridge for another 4 days.
To Freeze Cinnamon Rolls: Wrap each individual roll into plastic wrap or foil and place into a large freezer-safe bag and freeze u to 2 months.
To Reheat Cinnamon Rolls: Thaw at room temperature overnight or microwave in increments of 30 seconds until soft.
Fluffy Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
For the dough
For the filling
- To a standing mixing bowl with flour, add sugar and salt; mix it on a low speed.
- Meanwhile combine the wet ingredients; warm milk, egg, butter and yeast. Mix it with a fork and pour it to the standing mixing bowl. Increase the speed to maximum and knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl for proofing. Place the bowl on a warm place and allow the dough to double in size(1 hour).
- While the dough is rising, prepare the filling by combining brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a bowl.
- On a baking mat or countertop dust some flour and transfer the risen dough. Spread the dough to a rectangular shape using a rolling pin.
- Spread the butter generously and top it with the prepared cinnamon filling all over the dough. Roll the dough tightly from the long end like a log.
- Using a string/thread cut the rolls into 8 equal sizes and place it on a greased baking dish. Allow the rolls to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes and allow the cinnamon rolls to cool down for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the icing by combining cream cheese, butter, milk, vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle the icing over the cinnamon rolls and spread.
- Serve the cinnamon rolls while it is still warm.