Quick 30 minute Instant Pot Chicken Pasta in garlic tomato sauce is comfort food at it’s finest! Every taste of this chicken pasta is filled with plump and tender chicken, pasta, and the perfect amount of sauce and seasonings!
Pasta is a fabulous meal when you are craving comfort food. There is just something about it that makes you feel like a kid again. It’s warm, delicious, and very easy too. We all love this chicken pasta recipe because it’s loaded with flavor from the garlic tomato sauce and is loved by both kids and adults!
I love using my Instant Pot to make meals. The cleanup is truly a breeze, and you don’t have to worry about checking and stirring every few minutes. The pressure cooker takes care of all the hard work, and you can spend your time worrying about sides or desserts.
What You Need To Make Instant Pot Chicken Pasta
- Chicken breasts: We always try to use boneless, skinless chicken when making this pasta. It’s essential to cut up, so it cooks evenly.
- Olive oil: You will need the olive oil to saute the chicken and onions.
- Chopped onion: The onions add yummy flavor to the pasta.
- Minced garlic: Italian dishes are always better with a little bit of minced garlic. It smells amazing too.
- Italian seasoning: A little bit goes a long way and seasons this chicken pasta perfectly.
- Salt & Pepper: Season to taste.
- Rotini: While we usually use rotini, sometimes we will swap it for another short cut pasta. Most of it tastes the same; the texture is what changes.
- Marinara sauce: You can use store-bought jarred marinara sauce or make your own. You will need about 3 cups total to get the correct consistency.
- Water: It’s always important to have some type of liquid in your dishes that are made in the Instant Pot. That pressure and combination of fluid are what cooks the food. Plus, you don’t want to have to deal with a burn error from food sticking.
- Grated mozzarella cheese: Topping the pasta with cheese makes it melty and flavorful.
- Shredded parmesan: I don’t feel like you can ever really have too much parmesan! Okay, maybe you can, but I always add it because it’s so good.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Pasta
I don’t think you could find a better or more simple chicken pasta recipe! Begin by cutting the chicken into pieces that are bite-sized.
Then drizzle in the olive oil into the Instant Pot and turn it to the saute setting. Begin sauteing the onions for a couple of minutes. Add in the minced garlic, seasonings, and chicken and cook for 3-4 more minutes.
Pour in the water, marinara sauce, and add the pasta then give all the ingredients a stir. Turn off the saute function and add the lid. Make sure to seal the valve and turn it to manual. Then set the pressure to high and for 5 minutes.
Once the time is up, finish with a quick-release and add the cheese to the top. Place the lid back on the pressure cooker so the cheese can melt for a minute then serve hot.
How Do You Store Leftover Chicken Pasta
Once the chicken pasta has cooled down all the way after cooking, put it in an airtight container. Then you can put it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
For best results, you can add the pasta to a microwave-safe plate and heat it up for a minute or two. Pasta tends to warm up really quickly in the microwave, so don’t cook it too long.
If you have extra time and aren’t in a huge hurry, you can warm it in the oven if you’d rather. Heat the oven to 350 degrees and place the pasta in a casserole dish. Warm it for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and everything is hot.
Instant Pot Chicken Pasta
- 2-3 medium chicken breasts, boneless skinless (about 1.5 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 ounces rotini or penne pasta (or any short cut pasta)
- 25 ounce jar marinara sauce (or 3 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan (optional)
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Add olive oil and onion to an instant pot and turn on to saute setting. Saute onion for 2-3 minutes or until tender then add the garlic, chicken pieces, italian seasoning, salt & pepper. Saute for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the pasta, marinara sauce and water; stir to combine.
- Press the cancel button, close and lock the lid and seal the valve. Select the manual setting, adjust the pressure to high and set time to 5 minutes.
- When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to the manufacturer’s directions. Open the lid, sprinkle both kinds of cheese, close the lid and let the cheese melt for one minute.