Learn how to make the BEST and most crispy low carb pizza crust made with fathead dough. This low carb alternative to pizza is great if you are on the keto diet or simply want to cut carbs and is a carb lover’s dream with just 3 net carbs per slice! Growing up in NYC, we had pizza every week so surely pizza was one of the foods I missed most while doing the keto diet. Pizza is basically carb heaven and one of my biggest weaknesses. Who can resist a crispy pie loaded with cheese? Now, you can have your slice and enjoy it too with this super easy and delicious keto pizza recipe.
The pizza comes together in under 20 minutes with no time needed for rising. It can be frozen before or after baking making it great for times when you want to order pizza. The dough is made with my version of “Fathead” dough that has been testing with different ratios and herbs in order to replicate my favorite NY style pizza.
Keto Fathead pizza dough ingredients
- mozzarella cheese
- cream cheese
- almond flour
- baking powder
How to make keto fathead pizza
To begin you will need shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 oz (or 2 tablespoons) cream cheese. Microwave the mozzarella and cream cheese for 45 seconds or until slightly melted. Now stir until the cream cheese is fully incorporated. It may seem a little hard at first but will soon come together.
The next step is to simply add in the egg, almond flour, baking powder, and herbs. Mix until completely incorporated. The dough will seem sticky but that is fine.
To roll out the dough you have to options: because the dough is going to be soft and sticky, you can either roll it between two sheets of parchment paper or wet or grease your hands and pat it down flat with your hands.
The dough will need to be baked twice, once for the crust to bake and the next for the cheese and toppings. The first time it is baked for 10 minutes. While it’s baking the first time, this would be a good time to prepare the toppings!
This is my favorite part and where you can get really creative and make the pizza your own. Add your favorite sauces and toppings to the pizza crust and return to the oven to bake for another 5-8 minutes or until the crust is done to your desired doneness and the cheese is gooey and melted!
Keto pizza topping combos
Margarita: You can’t go wrong with a simple margarita pizza. Top your crust with low carb (sugar-free) pizza sauce (aka marinara/spaghetti sauce) and shredded mozzarella cheese. Add fresh basil or spinach if you’d like to go the extra step.
Cheeseburger: Tomato sauce, sharp cheddar cheese, cooked ground beef (like taco filling), Red onion rings or caramelized onion, finished with fresh shredded iceberg lettuce and tomato and pickles.
BBQ Chicken: While garlic sauce & bbq sauce, shredded rotisserie chicken, red onion or caramelized onion, mozzarella, and provolone cheeses.
Buffalo chicken: Ranch or blue cheese dressing, buffalo sauce, grilled or shredded rotisserie chicken, caramelized onion, mozzarella cheese.
Pesto Chicken: house-made pesto sauce, grilled or shredded rotisserie chicken and mozzarella.
Meat lovers: tomato sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, sausage, salami.
The Best Keto Pizza Crust
- Cheese, shredded mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, parmesan, feta etc
- Your favorite meats, chicken, beef, pepperoni, turkey, etc
- Your favorite veggies, Onion, Pepper, Jalapeno, olives, spinach, etc
- Your favorite sauce, sugar-free tomato sauce, olive oil, ranch, blue cheese, buffalo, etc
- Herbs, Parmesan, Crushed Red Peppers
- Pre-heat oven to 450F.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 45 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and add in egg, almond flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, and garlic. Mix with a spoon until well incorporated.
- Transfer dough onto a large piece of parchment paper and cover with another piece of parchment paper. Flatten out dough using a rolling pin to about ¼’’ thick. Remove parchment paper and shape with hands if desired.
- Transfer pizza on the parchment paper onto a baking sheet or pizza stone and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven (keep the oven on) and load your pizza however you like with all of your favorite sauces, cheese, and toppings.
- Bake pizza for another 5-8 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.