Meal-Prep freezer breakfast burritos loaded with potatoes, eggs, cheese, and your favorite protein. Make a large batch of these tasty burritos and enjoy a quick breakfast in minutes for weeks to come.
Weekday mornings are hectic and every minute counts. Making breakfast during the morning rush is near impossible, let alone a filling and tasty dish. To ease the morning craziness and save money, we love prepping breakfast burritos. They make mornings run so much smoother and help us save money on breakfast as well.
I began making these delicious breakfast burritos during my free time on the weekends. I would make at least a dozen, freeze em and in the morning we would each grab one and run out the door. The burritos can be heated in the microwave at home or work and it only takes 2 minutes!
These burritos are the base recipe but can be customized to your liking. The essentials are eggs, cheese, and breakfast potatoes or hashbrowns. You can leave them vegetarian or add cooked sausage, bacon, or beef. For the potatoes, we like to make quick breakfast potatoes with onions and bell pepper. If we’re feeling lazy, we’ll opt out of the breakfast potatoes and use frozen hashbrowns.
How to make breakfast burritos
- Cook breakfast potatoes or hashbrowns
- Scramble eggs in a skillet
- Cook bacon, sausage or beef in a skillet
- Assemble burritos ( layer potatoes, eggs, cheese and protein on a tortilla)
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 1 month
- To reheat, microwave for 2 minutes
To make these breakfast burritos healthier:
- Substitute whole wheat tortillas for the regular tortillas.
- Replace the potatoes with sweet potatoes
- Use egg whites instead of whole eggs
- Use turkey bacon or sausage
- Add a handful of spinach to each burrito
- For the potatoes:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 pounds potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers diced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- For the eggs:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 large eggs
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons water or milk
- For assembling the burritos:
- 12 Large flour tortillas
- guacamole optional
- Cheese optional
- For the potatoes:
- Boil potatoes for 5-6 minutes or until almost soft. Remove from heat and drain. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion starts to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers, garlic, seasoned salt, paprika, and black pepper, and potatoes, then cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until all the potatoes are cooked through and crispy on the edges. Don't stir the pan too often: the edges of the potatoes should start to get crisp. Turn off heat and set aside until ready to assemble burritos.
- To make the eggs:
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add the salt, pepper, and water. Whisk well to thoroughly scramble the eggs. Pour into the hot skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the eggs are set but still soft.
- To assemble the burritos:
- Lay a tortilla on a plate. Add a scoop of scrambled eggs, a scoop the potato mixture, Top with guacamole and cheese. Roll the burrito tightly by tucking in the bottom, rolling partway, then tucking in the sides before rolling completely. Wrap the burrito in aluminum foil and freeze until ready to eat.
- To reheat a frozen burrito:
- Take the burrito out of the aluminum foil. Wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave for 2-3 minutes or until the filling is hot.