Zucchini burrito boats filled with a flavorful salsa, corn, and black bean rice. These tasty zucchini burrito boats are so delicious and filling, it’s hard to believe they’re meatless. Serve them as an appetizer, side or main! Who knew zucchini would make the perfect boats for Mexican flavor. As many of you know, I’ve tried hundreds of Mexican recipes and they always manage to blow my mind every time. Mexican food is packed with flavor and texture and makes it very easy to make healthy flavorful dishes that the entire family will devour.
These meatless burrito boats are packed full of flavor and texture and super easy to make as well. The filling is a mixture of rice, beans, corn, salsa which are then tossed with sauteed onions, bell peppers, garlic, and jalapeno. The mixture is itself is very delicious and filling but if you’re a meat lover, you can add your favorite ground meat as well but we promise you won’t even notice it’s meatless!
Meatless Zucchini Burrito Boats
*substitute the spices with 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning.Print Rate
- 3 large zucchini
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernals
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 bell pepper cored and diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 jalapeno de-seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar, mozzarella, taco mix
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x13” casserole dish and set aside.
- Slice each zucchini in half, lengthwise. Using a spoon or melon baller, hollow out the center of each zucchini. Place them skin side down in the casserole dish.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. Add the onions, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno, and cook for 1-2 minutes or until soft.
- Add the rice, corn and beans, salsa, and spices; cook for another 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat and mix in cilantro.
- Spoon the filling inside of each zucchini until they are all full. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Mention @gimmedelicious or tag #gimmedelicious!
I made this tonight it was absolutely delicious! I also added a bit of sugar to the mix. Mozzarella really crispy in the oven this dish is just divine couldn’t stop eating the courgette boats! Easy and tasty, thanks!
Hi first time with this recipe!!! Should you cook the zucchini first????? It was a larger one and it took forever to get soft. Filling was good though.
If the zucchini hasn’t fully cooked, I would just bake a little longer or cover with foil so they steam.
Julie L Payne says
These were absolutely delicious, filling, and very satisfying to eat! Leftovers were even better the next day. Worth the effort!
Patsy Coles says
These are easy and so delicious. I had six black beauty zucchinis from the garden and wanted to try something different tonight. I made some simple substitutions like minced garlic from a jar, green chile instead of jalapeno, and sour cream instead of cashew cream. I also added 1 cup of vegan meat crumbles. The Monterey Jack cheese was perfect with these flavors. My family really liked them and the zucchini burrito boats dissappeared before my eyes. Thanks for the great idea!
Thanks got the feedback, happy you enjoyed it 🙂
Hi when you say 1 cup cooked rice could you tell me how much dry rice is needed in grams and cups for this please?