Over the past few years, burrito bowls have become an essential part of our dinner routine. We have them at least once a week. We love them because they are quick and easy to prepare, and are packed with tons of veggies and healthy protein. We usually make the burrito bowls with white rice but to make them ever healthier, we’ve started using brown rice or quinoa. I’ve never been a fan of multi-grain rice until recently when I discovered that if you’re eating it in a burrito bowl, it blends in perfectly with all the zesty flavors! You guys know I like my recipes quick and simple. Who has time to wait for an hour for a bowl of rice?!
When I heard about this quick Minute® Multi-Grain Medley Rice, I knew I had to try it! It’s a blend of four gluten-free, 100% whole grains, including long grain brown rice, Thai red rice, wild rice and quinoa and it conveniently cooks in 10 minutes. Plus, it comes in pre-portioned bags, making it even easier to prep. It cooked while I was preparing the toppings for my burrito bowls, and within 10 minutes it was ready! It was soft, fluffy and delicious! I love it because it has similar nutritional values as regular long cooking brown rice, but is ready in just 10 minutes, – ¼ the time!! It’s also gluten-free, too.
These burrito bowls are vegetarian but steak, shrimp, or chicken can easily be added. I used black beans, lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, and homemade tortilla strips.
I made the tortilla strips by simply slicing a flour tortilla into small strips and pan frying them until golden. They make a perfect topping for burrito bowls and add texture and delicious flavor to the bowls.
You can also add corn, fajita veggies, pico- gallo, guacamole, or salsa for even more flavor! The possibilities are endless! I finished off these burrito bowls with a drizzle of my award-winning chipotle sauce. It’s smoky, spicy and delicious. It’s made from canned chipotle and can be prepared in under 5 minutes.
Quick Veggie Burrito Bowls
- 4 pre-portioned bags of Minute® - Multi-Grain Medley any other type of Minute Rice can also be used
- Black beans:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 avocados diced or slices
- 2 cups lettuce shredded
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup sour-cream
- Chipotle sauce
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce plus 1 tsp. sauce canned
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. dried dill
- Kosher salt to taste
- Cook <a href="http://www.blogher.com/clicktracker.php?nid=2288791&cid=2287717&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgoo.gl%2FedgH2J" rel="nofollow" data-mce-href="http://www.blogher.com/clicktracker.php?nid=2288791&cid=2287717&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgoo.gl%2FedgH2J">Multi-Grain Medley</a> rice according to package instructions.
- To cook black beans: While the rice is cooking, heat a medium pan on medium/high heat. Add the onions and saute for 3-5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Add the black beans and spices. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make Chipotle sauce:
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth about 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is nice and creamy. Pour into a jar or small bowl and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.
- To assemble:
- Pour 1 serving of rice in a medium serving bowl. Top with black beans, avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, cilantro, sour-cream and a wedge of lime. Drizzle chipotle sauce by placing a few tablespoons into a ziplock bag and cutting the corner. Enjoy!
For your chance to win a $100 VISA Gift card, please leave a comment below by April 30th, 2016 and tell us, “What is your favorite rice or multi-grain dish?”
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 2/1/16 – 4/30/16.