I hate to think it’s may and we are still having snowstorms. I imagined by now the weather would be move warmer and progressing into spring but the opposite seems to be happening. I can’t wait for the temperature to reach 50 degree at least. Can’t wait for the first spring breeze; it’s so close yet so far away.
Another good thing I’m looking forward to in the spring/summer is losing weight. During the winter we eat so much and never really get much exercise; I always put on a few pounds every winter. I’m trying to incorporate a little bit of skinny recipes here in and there into my diet in order to trick myself into shedding a few pounds before winter is finally over. I baked these skinny mozzarella sticks yesterday and let me tell you, they are one of those kind of recipes that you can’t believe it’s a low-fat recipe. Why? because these mozzarella sticks taste so damn good! I don’t even know why I would make a full-fat version even if I was not on a diet!
In order to keep the cheese from melting you need to place the string cheese in the freezer for 30-45 minutes. After that I coated them with eggs and bread crumbs, baked for 7 minutes and ate them while they were still nice and cheesy. You can actually prepare these ahead of time (bread them) and place in the freezer and than pop in the oven as needed. They will be frozen solid which will insure they don’t melt while baking.
- 8 sticks part-skim mozzarella string cheese
- 1 large egg
- 5 tbsp Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp Parmesan cheese optional
- olive oil cooking spray
- Cut the string cheese in half ( which makes 16 pieces) and place in the freezer for 30-45 minutes. Beat egg in a small and set aside. In a separate bowl mix the Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Dip 1 string cheese in breadcrumb mixture than in egg mixture and than back in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat this for all the pieces. Place sticks on a greased foil or pan. Return the cheese stick back to the freezer for at LEAST 30-45 minutes ( Do not skip this step because the cheese will melt if they are not frozen).
- After the cheese is finished freezing heat oven t0 375 degrees. Spray the cheese lightly with cooking spray and place in the oven. After 4 minutes flip the cheese sticks and continue baking for another 3- minutes or until they are golden. Do not overbake because the cheese will melt. Serve Hot with your favorite marinara sauce. Enjoy!