Valentine’s day inspired chocolate chip cookie dough shaped hearts dipped into dark chocolate. This edible skinny twist on cookie dough makes the perfect guilt free treat.
Every time we make cookie dough, we always end up eating half the batter before baking it. What’s not to love about the buttery, chocolate mixture. I swear cookie dough should be made for eating not baking.
Luckly, A few years ago I learned how to make edible cookie dough without using eggs. It tastes just like regular cookie dough but is okay to eat. Don’t attempt to bake this cookie dough though because I can not make any promises that it will bake well!
I’ve tweaked the original recipe to make this cookie dough guilt free and easier on the waist line. I replaced the butter with coconut oil, swapped out the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour and used dark chocolate chips.
The mixture comes together in just a few minutes and can be shaped into balls or any shape you’d like but for today, we shaped these into hearts to celebrate valentines day.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or light butter melted
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour you can use all-purpose if you like
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup dark mini chocolate chips divided
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and coconut oil (or butter) until creamy. Stir in the flour, salt, milk, vanilla extract and 1/2 cup chocolate chip. Mix with wooden spoon until dough is formed. If the dough is sticky add a tablespoon more flour until the dough is easy to work with.
- Press the mixture into an 8 x 8 inch baking dish lined with parchment paper and place in the freezer to chill for 5 minutes. Pull off the parchment paper to lift the dough from the baking dish. Using heart-shaped cookie cutter (or any other shape) and cut out shapes. Place on a tray lined with parchment paper and return to the freezer for another 5 minutes while you melt the chocolate.
- Heat 1 cup of dark chocolate chips in the microwave on medium-high for about 1 minute to start with. Remove from the microwave and stir. Repeat heating at shorter intervals, 15 to 20 seconds, stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted and has a smooth consistency.
- Using a fork dip the truffles into melted chocolate (one at the time), slightly tap the fork against the side of the bowl to trim the excess chocolate and place the truffle back on the parchment paper.