Southwest veggies quesadillas loaded with bean, corn, bell pepper, cilantro, spices and lots of cheese and served with a creamy cilantro sour-cream dip. These quick quesadillas are packed with flavor and can be made vegan too!
If your on the lookout for a filling vegetarian meal that tastes AMAZING, then these veggie loaded quesadillas are calling your name. They’re loaded with sauteed beans, corn bell peppers, onion, and packed with lots of spices and flavor.
Making them is as simple as sauteeing all the ingredients in a pan at the same time for just a few minutes, then sandwiching them between two flour tortillas. If you want to go the extra step and add a creamy element to the quesadillas, add a tablespoon of mayo to the quesadillas.
To make them vegan, replace the cheese with vegan cheese.
To add chicken, add a cup of cooked shredded, diced, or grilled chicken to the quesadillas after adding the veggies.
To add avocado, Add half an avocado, mashed or sliced, to the quesadilla before or after adding the veggies.
To make them healthier, use whole wheat tortillas and replace the mayo with sour cream or Greek yogurt or avocado.
Southwest Veggie Quesadillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup bell pepper diced (colors of choice)
- 1 cup black beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn (canned, frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 medium flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese see note
For the sour-cream cilantro sauce:
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo or replace with sour-cream or Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup cilantro minced
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, bell peppers, black beans, corn, onion, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bell peppers and onions of softened. Turn off heat and stir in the cilantro.
- In a clean skillet over medium heat, add a flour tortilla. Top with cheese, cooked veggies mixture, and another layer of cheese. Place another tortilla on top and cook, flipping once, until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Slice and Serve with sour-cream cilantro sauce.
- To Make the sour-cream cilantro sauce. Whisk all the ingredients in a medium bowl until combined.