This cake is for the days when you are seriously craving something chocolaty. I’ve had days that I wanted something super chocolatey and went everywhere in search of a huge slam of chocolate but never felt satisfied. I usually go with double chocolate brownies in times like this, but yesterday I decided to go ahead and attempt to make the death by chocolate cake that I’ve been meaning to make for years. For all you folks on a diet I suggest you step away right now because once you taste it there’s really no going back!
This cake is extremely moist, chocolaty and delicious. I added chocolate into this cake 3 different types of ways in order to ensure that it will Satisfy even the most extreme chocolate eaters. The inside layer has my own homemade chocolate chip chunk syrup; it’s like a load of lava scooped right into the cake.
After baking the cake I added a silky chocolate ganache to give the cake more depth. Now, this cake does not need the ganache because it’s super chocolate alone but I wanted to add it for more chocolate awesomeness.
Doesn’t that look Amazing? This is my type of cake… I told you to step away!
This cake is completely from scratch but if you want you can use cake mix and follow my directions for the chocolate chunk syrup that is added inside the cake and the chocolate ganache. As you can see below I added the chocolate syrup chunks and swirled them all over the cake.
Ultimate Triple Chocolate Cake with Chocolate GanachePrint Rate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk or almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Chunk Syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- 3 Tbsp water
- 8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9'' cake pan and dust with flour; set aside.
- Make chocolate syrup: In a small sauce-pan melt all the ingredients for the Chocolate Chunk Syrup (1-2 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using low speed until combined. Add egg, milk, water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Pour batter into greased and floured cake pan.
- Scoop in the chocolate chunk syrup mixture and swirl with a knife until the mixture is fully incorporated. Bake for 30 minutes, until a cake a toothpick inserted, comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes then drizzle with ganache.
- To make Ganache: While the cake is baking, Bring cream just to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour over chocolate, and add salt. Let stand for 10 minutes (don't stir -- doing so will cool the ganache too quickly, making it grainy). After 10 minutes Stir with a whisk until smooth and shiny to break up any pieces and emulsify cream and chocolate. Chocolate will often settle on the bottom or sides of the bowl. Scrape dish with a rubber spatula to incorporate all of it. Let cool for at least 3-5 minutes and no more than 15 minutes before Pouring on the cooled cake.