Meal-Prep Chicken Burrito Bowls
A week's worth of lunch made in just 1 hour. This time-saving meal-prep chicken burrito bowls recipe will help you get healthy lunch on the table at work, school or home quickly without sacrificing flavor or your hard-earned money!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- For the Chicken
- 4 small-medium boneless (or 1 pound) skinless chicken breasts, pounded (or thighs)
- 1 packet taco seasoning * or 2 tablespoons homemade
For the Rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- kosher salt to taste
For the guacamole and salsa
- 1 ripe Avocado
- 2 tablespoons cilantro minced, divided
- 1/2 small jalapeno minced, divided
- 1/8 cup onion minced, divided
- 1 small tomato diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 Bell Peppers sliced into strips (colors of choice)
- 1/2 onion sliced into strips
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup light sour-cream
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 6 meal prep containers
For the Chicken: In a large bag or bowl, combine the chicken and taco seasoning along with 1 tablespoon oil. Marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes or up to 48 hours. Heat a large pan to medium-high heat. Cook chicken breasts for 5-7 minutes per side or until fully cooked. Remove from pan and rest for 10 minutes then chop into bite-size pieces.
In the same pan, add a teaspoon of oil along with sliced bell peppers and onion. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
For the Rice: While the chicken is cooking, boil 2 cups water in a large pot over high heat. Once the water has boiled, add the rice and 1 teaspoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and reduce the heat to low and cook until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed. Add in the cilantro and fluff rice with a fork.
To make guacamole and tomato salsa; While the rice and chicken are cooking, mash the avocado in a small bowl. Add half the minced cilantro (1 tablespoon), half the minced onion (1 tablespoon), and half the minced jalapeno. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and juice of 1/2 lime. Stir until the avocados are fully mashed. Set aside. In another small bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, and the remaining minced cilantro (1 tablespoon, minced onion (1 tablespoon), and half of the minced jalapeno. Please note, the recipes for the guacamole and salsa and lettuce only makes enough for 2 days so they don't go bad. for the
To assemble: Divide the rice, chicken, bell peppers, and beans into 4 meal-prep bowls. Divide the romaine lettuce, a tomato salsa, a scoop of guacamole and scoop of sour-cream into the remains 2 bowls. Cover and store in the fridge for up to 4 days and the cold ingredients (salad, guac, salsa) for 2 days. To re-heat. Heat ONLY the chicken and rice bowls for 2-3 minutes in the microwave. Top with the salad bowls when ready to eat. Prep more of the cold bowls when you run out. Enjoy!
* To make your own tacos seasoning for the chicken, combine: 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon sea salt ,1 teaspoon black pepper.
* For the cold ingredients (salad, guacamole, and salsa): Prep these ingredients every two days because they don't last as long in the fridge. You can also find guacamole snack packs and pre-made pico de gallo in the refrigerated dressings section at your local supermarket.
Serving: 1meal prep container | Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 170mg | Potassium: 913mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4120IU | Vitamin C: 91.7mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 1.7mg