When I think of Pretzels all I can think about is the mall and the freshly made pretzels they sell on the corner of atlantic center mall in Brooklyn. Every time I go there I can’t resist not stopping by and waiting on that long line (that never seems to be short for some reason), and getting a nice warm pretzel. I guess its because there is nothing better then warm pretzels topped with cinnamon and glaze!
The Dough is fairly easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time. This is the kind of recipe thats a great weekend project for the kids. It’s hand on and they will enjoy make the shapes.
To make the shape cut the dough out into 15 pieces and stretch each piece about 12 inches long. Now make a U shape and take both ended and twist them and stick them to the opposite sides like below. If you want to make regular size pretzels cut the dough into 5 pieces instead and that will give you 5 big pretzels.
Homemade Mini Cinnamon Pretzels with Dipping Sauce
- 2.5 all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp instant quick rise yeast
- 1 cup warm water -110 degrees F
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1. Combine all the ingredients for a dough and knead for 4-5 minutes or until the dough is soft and well combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it in the microwave or oven (off) and allow to rise for 20 minutes.
- 2. Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Cut the dough into 15 pieces and roll each piece out about 12 inches long and 1 centimeter in diameter. Make a U shape and twist both ends and stick to opposite end of pretzel.
- 3. Place the pretzels on a greased baking sheet and allow to rest for 5 minutes then place in the oven for 10 minutes until golden in color. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes.
- 4. Combine the sugar and cinnamon to make the cinnamon sugar. Brush the pretzels with butter and dip in the cinnamon sugar.
- 1. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of water in the microwave or stove top until they begin to melt.
- 2. Add the powdered sugar and whisk until the mixture is creamy.
- Place the glaze in a bowl for dipping or drizzle it on the pretzels.