Have I told you about my cauliflower obsession? Seriously, I love cauliflower a lot. I also love tater tots – I can’t resist making a whole batch of them every weekend with a side of ketchup.
Today I decided to marry the two. I ran out of potatoes and thought I’d try cauliflower instead. After all, why not? It’s much healthier, plus I won’t feel guilty eating like a million of these little cauliflower tots. They are also baked so that’s another plus.
The mixture for this recipe is pretty simple and easy to put together. You’ll need 2 cups of cauliflower (obviously..), an egg, 1/2 cup of minced onions and 1/4 cup of bell pepper (I used red although, the bell peppers are completely optional), 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, cheese and salt + pepper to taste. Oh and I almost forgot, I also used 1/4 cup of minced cilantro but you can also use parsley instead.
The only pressure point to the recipe is chopping the cauliflower. I chopped it in the food processor but only pulsed it 3 or 4 times, no more than a few seconds because it can over process very quickly. If you are not sure or think you’ll mess it up, I suggest just chopping it up with a knife real quick.
Next mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, shape them into little tots and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with ketchup, eggs, for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Skinny Baked Cauliflower Tots
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup onion, minced
- ¼ cup bell pepper, minced (optional)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ minced cilantro or parsley (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray or oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray or lightly grease with oil. Set aside.
Steam cauliflower in hot water for 3-5 minutes or until nice and soft, drain and chopped with a knife or blend in the food processor ( just a few seconds.)
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of mixture in your hands and roll into small oval shaped tots.
- Place on the cookie sheet ½ inch apart and bake for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking until golden.