Spinach and cheese stuffed chicken has become a dinnertime classic. We mostly love it because of the fact that it’s low-carb and includes a load of spinach for the little ones. Making it is fairly easy once you get the hang of it, and you can always make it ahead of time and re-heat as needed. It also presents very well, so that’s a plus 🙋
I hope you enjoy this healthy low-carb meal as much as we do and impress your loved ones! To begin, saute garlic in oil for a few seconds. Then add fresh spinach. You can also use thawed, frozen spinach instead of fresh, but you will only need a small amount, since the spinach is already wilted.Saute for just under a minute then turn off heat and set aside to cool while you pre-pare the chicken.Butterfly the chicken breast and pound to even out. Place a few teaspoons of spinach on the chicken and top with your favorite cheese. mozzarella, pepperjack, cheddar or cream cheese can be used. I used pepper-jack. Roll the chicken breasts then bread them by roll them in eggs then in a breadcrumb mixture.
Pan fry for about 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is golden on all side. After pan frying place the chicken in 1 cup of marinara sauce and bake for 15 minutes. The marinara is optional and the chicken can also be baked without it. I like to bake it in either marinara or cream sauce and sometimes I bake the chicken without any sauce. After the chicken has cooled for at least 5 minutes, cut into 4 large slices and serve on the sauce or with your favorite salad.
Breaded Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Spinach and Cheese
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- 8 oz mozzarella or pepper-jack cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup italian breadcrumbs (optional)
- ¼ cup oil (vegetable or canola) for frying
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 375 Degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 20 seconds or until it begins to brown on the edges. Add the spinach, season with salt and pepper. Cook for about a minute until the spinach wilts (You can also use thawed, frozen spinach instead of fresh, but you will only need a small amount, since the spinach is already wilted). Set aside to cool.
- While the spinach is cooling, butterfly and pound the chicken breasts even. Top with 2-3 teaspoons of spinach and 2 slices of mozzarella or pepperjack cheese. Roll up tightly. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Prep the breading station. Crack 2 eggs in a large plate. Combine panko and italian breadcrumbs in another plate. Dredge the chicken in the egg wash and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat up ¼ cup oil in a 8 or 10 inch skillet on medium high heat, until the oil is hot and shimmering. Add the chicken to the oil and cook for about 1-2 minutes on all 4 sides, until the chicken is golden brown on all sides.
- Pour 1 cup marinara sauce in a 13x9 oven safe pan. Place chicken breasts on the sauce and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing.