There is truly no better way to start the weekend other than with soft warm homemade pretzels. I know you might be intimidated by the idea of making your own pretzels, but homemade pretzels are easier to make than you may think. I have been making homemade pretzels for about 4 years now and I have to admit, when I first learned how to make them I went a little crazy.. I made them every few days until I got tired. Gave it some time off.Now It’s winter and I love baking warm goodies during the winter.
You Don’t need a mixer for this dough. It’s fairly easy to make and doesn’t require much time or a lot of ingredients. This recipe makes 5 big pretzels. If you want to make smaller pretzels cut them dough up into more portions.
Working with one piece of dough a time, roll the dough into a long, skinny rope against the counter using the palms of your hands. Aim for a rope about 18 inches long.
After you have rolled out the dough take both ends and make a U shape. Now take ht ends and cross them twist to make a twist. Then fold the twist back down over the bottom loop to form a pretzel shape.
This step is optional but I like to glaze the pretzels with egg wash to give them that nice glow when they are baked. You can substitute butter for the eggs.
- 1 cup warm water
- 2.5 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large egg whisked with 2 tablespoons warm water
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Combine the water and yeast in a large bowl and Let stand a few minutes, then stir to dissolve the yeast. Add 2 1/2 cups of the flour, salt, and, sugar.
- Knead the dough for 3 minutes until it is not longer sticky.
- Cover and let rise for 30-45 minutes in a warm place until the dough has doubled.
- Working with one piece of dough a time, roll the dough into a long, skinny rope against the counter using the palms of your hands. Aim for a rope about 18 inches long.This recipe makes 5 big pretzels. If you want to make smaller pretzels cut them dough up into more portions.
- After you have rolled out the dough take both ends and make a U shape. Now take the ends and cross them twist to make a twist. Then fold the twist back down over the bottom loop to form a pretzel shape.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cover and let rise for another 15 minutes. Brush pretzels with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place in oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and drizzle with caramel. Serve Warm.
- Salted Caramel
- Melt the sugar in a deep sauce pan until the sugar begins to turn brown than add the butter and whisk
- Mix for another 30 secs and remove from heat. Whisk in the heavy cream and the sea salt.
Oh my goodness, these look AMAZING!!! I love making soft pretzels, and what an awesome idea to drizzle the salted caramel on top!!!! YUM!!!!!
I’m glad you like them Maria!
Sarah (Shh...Fit Happens) says
Oh my, these look so good, I love soft pretzels! Making them always seemed like too much work, but this seems worth it!
Thanks Sarah! It’s really, just a matter of waiting for them to come out of the oven! 🙂