Crispy Baked cauliflower coated in a spicy honey bbq sauce! these cauliflower wings are so good it’s hard to believe they’re not “wings”. They can be customized to fit your diet and can be made vegan or gluten-free! A few years ago I shared my cauliflower buffalo wings and ever since I’ve been getting tons of emails and requests for a bbq wings recipe so I couldn’t think of a better time to share my favorite recipe. The Superbowl is just a few weeks away and if you’re vegan, vegetarian or just want to enjoy cauliflower like never before, then you’re going to fall in love with these cauliflower wings.
They’re sticky, crispy, and packed full of flavor. Best of all, they’re baked so you can make a large batch on a sheet pan and no need for frying. The cauliflower is first battered in a spicy batter that is made with flour milk (substitute almond milk or water for vegan) and a whole bunch of spices. Than the cauliflower is baked for 20 minutes to soften up the cauliflower and give it a crunchy exterior which will remble wings.
The 2nd step is making the spicy bbq sauce. While the cauliflower is baking, simmer bbq sauce, honey, butter and a tablespoon of two of sriracha or hot sauce. Remove the wings from the oven and dip them in the sweet and spicy bbq sauce and bake once more for just a few minutes to crisp up the wings ever further! Serve these tasty wings with ranch or blue cheese sauce and celery and enjoy! 🙂
- 1 head of cauliflower approx. 4 cups of florets
- 1 cup milk for vegan: use water or almond or soy milk
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour can sub gluten-free rice flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp of paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter for vegan: use earth balance buttery spread or coconut oil
- Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper or grease very well with oil. Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Wash and cut cauliflower head into bite-sized pieces/florets.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, milk, and spices for 1 minute or until most of the lumps are gone. Dip the cauliflower in the batter. You can do this one by one or in batches. shake off excess batter before placing cauliflower on the baking sheet. Lay the cauliflower single layer on the baking sheet.Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- While the cauliflower is baking, In a small saucepan over low heat, simmer the bbq sauce, honey, sriracha, and butter.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and dip into the bbq sauce and place bake on the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for another 10 minutes. Serve with ranch, blue cheese, or your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Can I use frozen florets instead of fresh cauliflower?
Woah! Just made these tonight and they were amazing! 👏
Hey Layla !
Just Started keto and am finding your blog to be so useful ! Just reagrding the smoked BBQ CauLiflower, do you know how mnay carbs are in a serving for that one ?
Thanks very much.
I was wondering if you could make this into a meal prep idea. I don’t know how well the cauliflower would reheat, but do you think there could be a way to make a similar meal prep meal?
These can definitely be stored as just the battered florets for up to 48 hours in a sealed container in the fridge. Continue recipe by glazing in sauce and baking to reheat. They’re just as good!