Mashed potato balls stuffed with bacon and cheddar cheese and fried till crispy and golden. Crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside with a center of gooey cheese, these mashed potato balls make the perfect side!Alright people. This is officially the BEST and ONLY way to eat mashed potatoes. These mashed potato balls are a dream come true. This recipe takes the basic mashed potato dish and elevates it to a whole new level.
These tasty mashed potato balls will make a great side dish for your next family get together, and will make you look like a pro. SO let’s forget about the boring old mashed potatoes this year, and serve these instead. Your family will thank you for it and you can thank me later 😉
(NOTE: SCROLL DOWN TO THE END OF THIS POST FOR THE GIVEAWAY!)
To begin, you will need a block of cheddar cheese cut into small 1/2 inch cubes, some shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese, 2 slices of bacon, panko, flour and eggs for coating and the most important ingredient, a 24 oz box of Simply Potatoes® mashed potatoes.
Using these mashed potatoes makes the job sooo much easier and eliminates the risk of you ruining your own mashed potatoes. You will need fluffy mashed potatoes for these balls and Simply Mashed potatoes are always light and fluffy. They are also made with real ingredients and made with fresh never frozen potatoes. Plus, No peeling or shredding required!
They come in 6 varieties: country, original, sweet potato, parmesan peppercorn, garlic, and my favorite, the sour-cream and chive mashed potatoes. Feel free to use whatever variety you prefer but I highly recommend this recipe with either the sour-cream and chive or the garlic mashed potatoes. I used the sour-cream and chive.
Simply combine the mashed potatoes, mozzarella cheese, and cooked bacon. The mixture will form a nice and fluffy dough that is easy to work with. If the air is too humid where you live, you might need to add a few tablespoons of flour to the mixture.
Next you roll a few tablespoons of the mixture into ball, stuff it with a cheddar cheese cube, and bread it in the panko breadcrumbs mixture. Fry until golden and crispy on the outside and enjoy!
note: see video below for more info on how to cook the bacon and roll balls.
Cheese Stuffed Bacon Mashed Potato Balls + Giveaway!Print Rate
- 2 slices turkey bacon diced
- 1 24 oz package of Simply Potatoes® Mashed Potatoes Any variety, I used Sour-cream and chive
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheddar cheese
- 1 Block of Cheddar Cheese - Cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup Panko or italian bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat while you form the balls.
- Open the simply potatoes mashed potato plate and drain any liquid that has settled. In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, shredded cheese and cooked bacon. With lightly floured hands - pick up a tablespoon sized ball of potato mixture and flatten into a small pancake. Place cube of Cheddar in the center and wrap the potato mixture around the cheese. Repeat for the remaining balls.
- Place Flour, Bread Crumbs, and remaining egg in three separate bowls. Coat the potato ball in flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs.
- Fry the potatoes in batches until crispy and golden on all sides, about 8-10 mins. Transfer fried potato balls to paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve alone or with marinara sauce.
Now for the best part!!! Simply Potatoes and I have teamed up to give one lucky reader a Le Creuset Rectangular Baking Dish Caribbean, 1 4/5 QT ($50.00)!
To Enter: follow the directions in the giveaway box below. You must leave a comment in the comment section below letting us know what is your favorite mashed potato flavor. After that entry, you will be given the option to earn additional entries by following Simply Potatoes and Gimme Delicious on our social media channels!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Simply Potatoes®. The opinions and text are all mine.