A great spin on mashed potatoes, this shredded potato casserole is creamy, cheesy, and topped with crispy bacon. This tasty casserole will make the perfect side to your dinner and includes low-fat options too! I’m a huge fan of mashed potatoes, especially when baked in a casserole. This yummy twist on mashed potatoes is sure to impress your pickiest eaters.
Casseroles are great because they are usually easy to prepare and feed large crowds. If you are looking for a new side dish this season than you must give this casserole a try!
This casserole is all about the cheese. Lots and lots of it. It’s never a casserole without cheese be prepared!
As you may know, Crystal Farms cheese is my go to cheese for dishes that are extra cheesy. Crystal Farms products are Natural products with few preservatives, gluten-free and lactose tolerant.
If you live in the North VA or DC area you should be able to find them in most Shoppers supermarkets.
To get started: Boil 6-8 russet potatoes in a large pot of water to fork tender. Shred with a cheese grate and set aside. While the potatoes are boiling, combine sour-cream, cream cheese, butter, and milk in a large bowl. Season with salt pepper and garlic powder. Add in the shredded potatoes, shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese, chopped green onion and transfer to a baking dish. Sprinkle with more cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Now here’s the best part. For those on a diet, with a few simple modifications, you can still enjoy this yummy casserole without all the calories. Here’s how:
- Replace the sour-cream with greek yogurt
- Replace full fat milk with skim milk
- Cut cream- cheese in half
Cheesy Shredded Potato Casserole (with Low-fat Option) + Giveaway!Print Rate
- 3 pounds russet potatoes washed and peeled
- 4 ounces Crystal Farms® low fat cream cheese softened (use 2 oz for low-fat)
- 1 cup sour-cream use plain non fat Greek yogurt for low-fat
- 1/2 cup milk use skim or 1% for low-fat
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Crystal Farms® mozzarella divided
- 1 cup Crystal Farms® sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1/2 cup green onions finely chopped (optional)
- 2 strips turkey bacon
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Grease a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish with butter or oil and set aside.
Boil potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until fork tender (about 10 minutes). Drain potatoes and allow to cool until they are easy to handle. Shred potatoes using a box grater. Aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, Whisk the cream cheese, sour-cream, milk, butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add in the shredded potatoes, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and green onion. Stir mixture with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- While the casserole is baking, chop 2 strips of bacon and cook in a small skillet on medium heat until crispy. Top baked casserole with bacon, green onion and cilantro.
Now for the best part! Crystal Farms® Cheese and I have partnered to give one lucky reader a set of Nested baking dishes ($29.99) to bake this yummy casserole in and Crate & Barrel Bistro Serving Bowl ($19.95) for serving!
To enter: leave a comment below letting us know your favorite cheesy dish. After that, you will have the option to earn additional entries by following Crystal Farms Cheese and Gimme Delicious on our social media channels!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Crystal Farms® Cheese. The opinions and text are all mine.
Karen D says
Mac and cheese!
carol clark says
i love mac and cheese homemade
OMG, this looks so delicious! Thank you for sharing. 🙂
carol clark says
i love mac and cheese
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) says
omigosh I LOVE this potato casserole-it looks so flavorful!! And girl…how could I pick a fave cheesy dish??? Mac and cheese?? I don’t know…everything! lol
I love mac and cheese! It’s the ultimate comfort food.
Jaclyn Reynolds says
Baked ziti is my favorite cheesy dish!
I love broccoli cheddar soup
Cheryl Rahkonen says
My favorite cheesy dish is potatoes au gratin.
Dandi D says
My favorite cheesy dish is loaded macaroni and cheese.
I love tater tot casserole with sharp cheddar on top!
Sandra Lea says
I love au gratin potatoes.
Of course it’s mac & cheese!
susan smoaks says
I love mac and cheese. It is my favorite cheesy dish.
Karen D says
Entry widget missing 🙁
It tends to load slow. Reload the page and let it load a minute or two and it should pop up at the bottom of the page! Let me know if it doesn’t!
I love super-cheesy lasagna!