This cake is for the days when you are seriously craving something chocolaty. I’ve had days that I wanted something super chocolatey and went everywhere in search of a huge slam of chocolate but never felt satisfied. I usually go with double chocolate brownies in times like this, but yesterday I decided to go ahead and attempt to make the death by chocolate cake that I’ve been meaning to make for years. For all you folks on a diet I suggest you step away right now because once you taste it there’s really no going back!
This cake is extremely moist, chocolaty and delicious. I added chocolate into this cake 3 different types of ways in order to insure that it will Satisfy even the most extreme chocolate eaters. The inside layer has my own homemade chocolate chip chunk syrup; it’s like a load of lava scooped right into the cake.
After baking the cake I added a silky chocolate ganache to give the cake more depth. Now, this cake does not need the ganache because it’s super chocolate alone but I wanted to add it for more chocolate awesomeness.
Doesn’t that look Amazing? This is my type of cake… I told you to step away!
This cake is completely from scratch but if you want you can use cake mix and follow my directions for the chocolate chunk syrup that is added inside the cake and the chocolate ganache. As you can see below I added the chocolate syrup chunks and swirled them all over the cake.
Ultimate Triple Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pans
- 1.5 cups Sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk, shaken
- ½ cup freshly brewed coffee
- ¾ cup good cocoa powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate Chunk Syrup
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup chopped bitter sweet or semi-sweet chocolate or chocolate chips
- 8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cake pan (s) and Set Aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With the mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a small sauce-pan melt all the ingredients for the Chocolate Chunk Syrup for 1-2 minutes while mixing, Scoop in the chocolate chunk Syrup mixture and swirl with a knife until the mixture is fully incorporated.Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack and Pour the Ganache on top.
- Bring cream just to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour over chocolate, and add salt. Let stand for 10 minutes (don't stir -- doing so will cool the ganache too quickly, making it grainy). After 10 minutes Stir with a whisk until smooth and shiny to break up any pieces and emulsify cream and chocolate.Chocolate will often settle on the bottom or sides of the bowl. Scrape dish with a rubber spatula to incorporate all of it. Let cool for at least 3-5 minutes and no more than 15 minutes before Pouring on the cooled cake.
- Store cake in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the fridge. Enjoy!