Burritos are BIG in our household, like seriously big.. I can’t imagine a few days going by without wrapping up one of these little babies. I love making burritos because they are super quick, easy, and healthy. Remember how easy those chicken burritos I made a few weeks ago were? well these burritos are very similar except with black beans and rice.
This is a very vibrant and colorful dish packed with a ton of flavor. I used a mixture of red bell peppers, canned black beans, canned corn, cilantro, onions, rice, and cheese.
I sauteed the ingredients (excluding the cheese and rice) in butter over high heat to melt them all down a bit and add more flavor. After sauteing them I wrapped them up and placed them back on the griddle to crisp up and so the cheese can melt inside for a crispy exterior and a gooey interior!
The great thing about burritos is that they can be stored in the freezer for months and are great for taking to work or school. You can wrap them up and place them in zip-lock bags before or after re-grilling, when you need them just re-heat them in the microwave.
Crispy Black Bean and Rice Burritos
- 1 can of black beans
- ½ can of canned corn
- 1.5 cup mozzarella or Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 cup cooked rice (Optional)
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- juice of half a lime
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat, add the bell peppers, onion, beans, corn, cilantro, butter, juice of the lime, and spices, saute for 2-4 minutes on high. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the wraps, Lay tortilla flat on plate or counter, add ¼ cup of the bean mixture, 2 tablespoons rice, 2-3 tablespoons cheese. Be sure to leave about 2-3 inches from the corners. Wrap burrito by folding over the edges. Continue this for all 8 burritos.
- After the burritos are wrapped heat a large skillet or pan, add 1 teaspoon oil, place the burritos on the skillet for 1-2 minutes on each side until they are golden and crispy. For the "ridges" use a griddle that has the ridged lines.
- Serve warm with sour cream or salsa.
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 309
- Fat: 10.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 14.9