Who likes contests? I sure do! after all, who doesn’t..
Last week I was selected as one of the 10 finalist for the Emmi USA‘s “Gourmelt” Grilled Cheese Contest. I was mailed an electric grill and a sample of the Emmi Le Gruyere cheeses to work with. I’ve been having so much fun all week grilling all different types of grilled cheese. The winner of the contest will receive a wine fridge retailed at $299. Fingers crossed 🙂
Update: I won the contest and the wine fridge!! 🙂 My award winning sandwich will be featured at the Emmi cheese event in NYC on Sept 20th 2014.
Okay so let’s step aside for a moment and talk about this beautiful cheese. If you thought you’ve tasted good cheese, think again! The Le Gruyere is fantastic and goes well on sandwiches, in pastries and dips! It has a very dense and smooth with a sightly flaky texture that literally melt in your mouth. It’s unbelievably good!
For the contest I decided to make a chipotle chicken grilled cheese sandwich because the chipotle pairs very well with the cheese. Seriously the best sandwich EVER!
I’ve had a ton of grilled cheese in my life but nothing anywhere near as good as this sandwich! This is an “adult” version of a grilled cheese and is packed with tons of cheese, shredded chicken, caramelized onions and my special homemade chipotle sauce.
The chipotle sauce is super easy to make and can be stored in the fridge for weeks. Once you taste it once it becomes kind of addicting because it has a spicy and creamy flavor. You basically whip all the ingredients for it in the food processor and that’s it!
Look at that cheese melt.. Kills me every time! Looks like I need another sandwich!
Chipotle Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 cup cooked chicken (recipe below)
- 10-12 slices of Emmi Le Gruyere
- ½ onion sliced
- 2 tablespoon butter (divided)
- 4 slices of bread
- Shredded chicken
- 1 medium boneless chicken cutlet
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chipotle Sauce
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce plus 1 tsp. sauce (canned)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. dried dill
- Kosher salt, to taste
- To make the chipotle sauce: place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth about 2-3 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat a small pan to medium heat. Add the butter and onions, allow to gently cook for 15 minutes or until caramelized.
- For the shredded chicken:
- Heat a small heavy duty pan to medium/high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil, chicken cutlet and salt+pepper. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden in color. After both sides are golden add ¼ cup water. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove into a bowl and allow to cool. When cooled shred using 2 forks or with your fingers.
- To assemble
- Place an even layer of cheese on 2 slices of bread. Top with shredded chicken and onions. Drizzle a layer or chipotle sauce (2 teaspoons), then top with more cheese. Top sandwich with the other slice of bread. [br
- Heat griddle or pan to medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon butter, place sandwich on griddle and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and the bread is golden and crispy. Serve warm!