Philly cheese steak wrapped in a flaky crust and bake to perfection! this is the perfect weeknight family dinner.
Strombolis are an all time classic comfort food. We usually prefer a strombolis over pizza when we are really hungry and want something that will satisfy the hunger. Strombolis get the job done right!
They are packed with meat, cheese and sometimes marinara sauce, depending on what type of stromboli you are making. I HAD to make a Philly cheese steak Stromboli because we live in Philly now and it would be a shame not to!
This stromboli is the the perfect combo of pizza and cheese steak. It’s packed with thinly sliced steak, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, an cheese of course. You can use your own homemade pizza dough, supermarket dough, or the canned dough.
It fills you up! if it were up to me I would eat this everyday but I’m holding back.
Philly Cheese Steak Stromboli
- Pre-made Pizza Dough (one pizza dough makes 2 Strombolis)
- 1 lb roast or sandwich steak, sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2 jalapenos seeded, washed, and sliced (optional, spicy)
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced
- 6 slices provolone cheese (optional)
- 1 small jar sliced mushrooms
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a large pan to medium/high heat. Add 1 Tbsp oil, place steaks in pan and Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Cook for minutes then add the slices onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms and saute for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned. Don't overcook the meat and veggies because they will still cook in the oven.
- With a rolling pin, roll the dough of one loaf into an approximate 9 X 13 inch rectangle. Pour the steak mixture in the center make sure you leave about ½ inch of the dough edges plain so the dough will stick when you roll it). Layer the cheese on the steak mixture then Fold in the sides and tuck and roll the loaf.
Place the loaf, seam side down on a greased baking sheet or aluminum foil. Beat one egg and brush the outside of the loaves until completely covered with the egg, cut thin 2 inch strips on the top layer of the dough. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown. Cut and serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce. I like to use ranch or marinara.