What??!! Chicken and cream cheese?! You must think I’m crazy! But I’m not. When I first tell people about one of my family’s favorite recipes they cringe a little and say “cream cheese?” and I say YES! please try it, I PROMISE you will love it. After they do they always come back and thank me.
I remember a while back I was a little skeptical of cream cheese in lasagna but knew it had to be good because cream cheese Nevers fails me. After trying cream cheese lasagna I never looked back! I make this lasagna ALL the time. Every time I have a few cups of leftover rotisserie chicken I opt in for this lasagna because it literally gives the chicken life and turns it into a world class meal.
This cream cheese, chicken and spinach lasagna is insanely delicious and is definitely a keeper.
Creamy Chicken, Spinach & Cream Cheese Lasagna
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I use leftover rotisserie chicken)
- 6 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- ½ cup finely diced bell pepper (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups raw spianch, chopped (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large pan to medium/high heat. Toss in onions and cook for 3-5 minutes, until golden and soft. Add bell peppers and cook for another minute. Next add garlic and spices and cook for just 30 seconds. Turn heat off.
- Add chopped spinach, cream cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, and ¼ cup parmesan to the cooked veggies (while heat is off) and throughly combine with a spatula (you can also do this in a large bowl).
- Spread ⅓ of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover with the chicken mixture, and top with 3 lasagna noodles; repeat. Top with remaining sauce, and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and the edges are brown and bubbly.