Thinly sliced zucchini dusted in breadcrumbs and baked until crispy and golden is a great alternative to potato fries with less than half the carbs and calories!
As many of you have noticed from my instagram and snapchat, we don’t eat much fried food around here. I love baking everything instead of frying because it’s so much healthier and honestly, tastes just as good if not better.
We’ve been experimenting a lot lately with healthier alternatives to the regular potatoes. We’ve tried the baked avocado fries, the baked sweet potato wedges, baked guacamole stuffed onion rings, and let’s not forget the baked broccoli and cauliflower tots. All these dishes are great alternatives to fries!
Now it’s time for the long-awaited baked zucchini fries. They are crispy, crunchy, addictive and surprisingly easy to make!
To begin, simple slice your zucchini into circles or long strips. Either way works fine but we prefer the strips! Next, dip the zucchini into eggs then into breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crispy. Make sure you allow them to bake long enough until they are golden and crispy so they hold and not become soggy.
I paired them with out favorite chipotle sauce but any other sauce or ketchup will work great as well!
The Best Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries
- 3-4 large zucchini
- 1 cup bread crumbs (panko or itlian or a mixture of both)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil or parchment paper and lightly grease with oil. Set aside.
- Combine 2 eggs in a small shallow bowl and set aside. Combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in another bowl and set aside. Pre-pare zucchini by trimming the ends and cutting into ½ inch strips or slices.
- Dip zucchini strips into egg mixture then in breadcrumb mixture and transfer to pre-greased baking sheet. Repeat until all the zucchini strips are coated with egg and breadcrumbs.
- Seasoning with salt, pepper and garlic powder then drizzle with olive oil or generously spray with cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven, turning once, until golden and crisp, 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and crispy. Enjoy hot with chipotle sauce, ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce!