A week’s worth of lunch made in just 1 hour. This time-saving meal-prep chicken burrito bowls recipe will help you get healthy lunch on the table at work, school or home quickly without sacrificing flavor or your hard-earned money!
A new year calls for new small lifestyles changes that can help us live better and longer. My new obsession is meal-prepping. Prepping your whole week’s worth of lunch has never been easier. It not only saves you money but allows you to cook healthy meals at home so you can avoid last-minute fast food.
BOWLS are the answer. They are packed with protein, grains and plenty of veggies. They heat up easily in the microwave with minimal clean-up or waste.
This weeks meal prep recipe is chicken burrito bowls. The meat, rice, beans, and fajita veggies are all loaded in 1 bowl for easy heating up, and the cold ingredients are placed in a separate bowl. When you are ready to have a fresh burrito bowl, you simply heat up the chicken bowl then top it with the cold salad, guacamole, and sour-cream. This is the BEST and ONLY way to have burrito bowls. You will feel like your eating a bowl straight out of chipotle.
If you’re counting your calories, opt in for brown rice instead or if you’re feeling a little generous, go ahead and add a handful of cheese on top of the lettuce and treat yourself.
Meal-Prep Chicken Burrito Bowls
- For the Chicken
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded (or thighs)
- 1 packet taco seasoning *
- For the Rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- kosher salt to taste
- For the guacamole and salsa
- 1 ripe Avocado
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced, divided
- 1 small jalapeno, minced, divided
- ¼ cup onion, minced, divided
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- Other things for the bowls
- 2 Bell Peppers, sliced into strips (colors of choice)
- ½ onion, sliced into strips
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- ½ cup light sour-cream
- ½ cup black beans
- 8 meal prep containers
- For the Chicken: In a large bag or bowl, combine the chicken and taco seasoning along with 1 tablespoon oil. Marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes or up to 48 hours. Heat a large pan to medium high heat. Cook chicken breasts for 5-7 minutes per side or until fully cooked. Remove from pan and rest for 10 minutes then chop into bite size pieces.
- In the same pan, add a teaspoon of oil along with sliced bell peppers and onion. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- For the Rice: While the chicken is cooking, boil 2 cups water in a large pot over high heat. Once the water has boiled, add the rice and 1 teaspoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and reduce the heat to low and cook until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed. Add in the cilantro and fluff rice with a fork.
- To make guacamole and tomato salsa; While the rice and chicken are cooking, mash the avocado in a small bowl. Add half the minced cilantro (2 tablespoons), half the minced onion (2 tablespoons), and half the minced jalapeno. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and juice of ½ lime. Stir until the avocados are fully mashed. Set aside. In another small bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, and the reaming minced cilantro (2 tablespoons, minces onion (2 tablespoons), and half of the minced jalapeno.
- To assemble:Divide the rice, chicken, bell peppers, and beans into 4 meal-prep bowls. Divide the romaine lettuce, a tomato salsa, a scoop of guacamole and scoop of sour-cream into the remains 4 bowls. Cover and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. To re-heat. Heat ONLY the chicken and rice bowls for 2-3 minutes in the microwave. Top with the salad bowls when ready to eat. Enjoy!