Healthy one-pan chicken, sweet potatoes, and broccoli oven-roasted to perfection! This quick one-pan dish is packed full of flavor and is GREAT for meal prepping too!
Cooking this one-pan roasted chicken, broccoli & sweet potatoes is a breeze, and the result is a flavorful dish the entire family can enjoy. It’s incredible how unbelievably easy this oven-roasted chicken recipe is. So, if you have been craving comfort food, this is perfect, even on the busiest weeknights.
What makes this easy roast chicken and vegetables next level good is after you bake it, you broil it to lock in those juicy flavors. Plus, the broccoli and sweet potatoes are perfectly tender and seasoned beautifully.
Not only can you make an entire meal with one dish, but you can also meal prep it, so it’s available later as well. Having meals prepped ahead of time is a game-changer when it comes to eating something healthy when you are in a hurry. You are way less likely to hit a drive-thru if you have healthy food ready to heat and eat.
TO MAKE ONE-PAN ROASTED CHICKEN, BROCCOLI & SWEET POTATOES YOU WILL NEED
- Chicken Breasts: You need to pound them thin with a meat mallet or whatever you prefer to pound it with. If you place the chicken inside of a ziplock baggie and remove the air, you are less likely to make a mess. It’s fast and easy!
- Cajun or Taco Seasoning: Depending on your preferences and what you have on hand, either seasoning is delicious in one pan dinner idea.
- Garlic: You can add as little or as much garlic as you like, but I recommend 2-3 minced cloves, so it’s not too overpowering.
- Olive Oil or Butter: If you haven’t noticed, this roasted chicken breast recipe is perfect for adjusting. Its versatility allows you to swap ingredients like butter or olive oil easily!
- Lemon or Lime Juice – You don’t need a lot, just a tablespoon. It adds a zesty punch of flavor that’s perfection!
- Sweet Potatoes – The combination of the seasonings, chicken, and sweet potatoes is so delicious. Plus, you are getting lots of nutrient-rich foods with every bite you take.
- Broccoli – With this one-pan roasted chicken, I prefer to use broccoli florets. You can cook broccoli stems with the florets, but keep mind they won’t cook as fast or be as tender.
HOW TO COOK ONE-PAN ROASTED CHICKEN, BROCCOLI & SWEET POTATOES
This easy one-pot dinner idea doesn’t take a ton of effort on your part. Plus, if you line the baking sheet with parchment paper or foil clean-up, is even easier. To start, you will need to dice up the sweet potatoes and add them to the baking sheet with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Bake the sweet potatoes and start preparing the chicken by mixing it in the seasonings, olive oil, and lemon juice.
Once the sweet potatoes are finished, you will need to remove them from the oven and add the chicken and broccoli. Add a drizzle of olive oil and another dash of salt and pepper.
Once you have baked it until the chicken is done, then place it in the broiler for a couple of minutes. This will hold in the moisture of the chicken and add a beautiful golden brown color to the top.
If you are meal prepping, you need to let the chicken cool, then slice it and divide everything into 4 containers. It’s SO EASY, and you can quickly microwave it for a couple of minutes and serve.
CAN I ADD ADDITIONAL VEGETABLES?
Yes, you can add other vegetables to the one-pan chicken if you want to. It’s just important to note a couple of things. First of all, you want to choose foods that cook at the same rate, so you don’t fight some getting done way before the rest. Mushrooms, squash, asparagus, bell pepper, and zucchini would be some good choices.
Secondly, whenever you adjust the recipe, keep in mind that the nutritional information will change. So if you are on a certain diet or lifestyle, you’ll want to be mindful of that.
One-Pan Roasted Chicken, Broccoli & Sweet Potatoes + Meal PrepPrint Rate
- 4 medium chicken breasts (pounded thin)
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (or taco seasoning)
- 2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or lime)
- 4 cups sweet potatoes (diced)
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and set aside.
- Place diced sweet potatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with a light layer of oil and drizzle of salt & pepper. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, combine the chicken, seasoning, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl. Mix until the chicken is fully coated with spices.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and add chicken and broccoli to the same pan (keep sweet potatoes in the pan). If the pan is too small, split them into two pans. Drizzle the broccoli with a light layer of olive oil and salt & pepper.
- Return sheet pan to the oven and bake another 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Turn on the broiler to high and broil for 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is golden (optional step).
- To Meal-Prep: allow the chicken to cool for at least 5-10 minutes before cutting. Cut into slices and divide chicken and veggies into 4 meal prep containers. Re-heat in the microwave for 2 minutes on high or until steaming.