Learn how to make the best tender, juicy and delicious chicken breasts right on your stove-top in a grill pan or cast iron pan.
I don’t know where I’d be without grilled chicken. I grill chicken all year for meal-prep and for so many recipes too. Grilled, skinless chicken breasts make a great addition to a healthy diet because they are low in calories and high protein. Eating chicken breast, without breading or skin, helps you eat fewer calories and even burn extra calories for effective weight loss. I always make extra and save it for salads, in burritos, pasta or meal prepping!
Because we don’t always have access to the outdoor grill year round, I make the chicken on the stove-top most of the time. To make tender juicy grilled chicken you will need a heavy duty grill pan. A cast iron pan with ridges works best but if your cast iron pan doesn’t have ridges, you can still grill the chicken on it too.
For the seasoning, I usually switch it up each time I make the chicken and don’t really measure but for the sake of this recipe I’ve included my favorite herb and seasoning mix. You can also used a packet of taco seasoning or your favorite herbs and spices and make it your own.
How to Grill Chicken on Stove-Top (Easy Grill Pan Method)
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 oz each)
- 1 teaspoon Dried or fresh basil, cilantro or parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon brown or granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon or lime (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine all the dry seasoning in a small bowl. Season both sides of the chicken with the dry seasoning mix.
- Heat a heavy duty grill pan to high heat for about 2-3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-high and add the oil to the pan and make sure the entire pan is coated with oil.
- Add the chicken breasts to pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on the first side without moving, until the undersides develop dark grill marks. Flip the chicken breasts using a pair of tongs or a fork and cook the other side for 5-6 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow chicken breasts to rest in pan for at least 5 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with lemon or lime before serving (optional).
Notes* Optional: pound chicken breasts to even thickness using a meat tenderizer or a rolling-pin.