Meal-prep chicken marinated in a spicy garlic, chili, cilantro, lime marinade, served with rice and colorful bell peppers. This tasty flavor-packed meal is quick and easy makes a great lunch all week long.
Today I’m sharing another fast and simple meal prep recipe. These chili lime chicken meal prep bowls make a delicious spicy lunch with the addition of colorful bell peppers and rice.
Although I work from home, my days are busy busy busy and most of the time, I don’t have time to cook a fresh meal for lunch and dinner. Meal prep bowls have become a staple in our home. They’re super handy when you need a complete meal in minutes. My husband, kids and I just grab a bowl whenever we’re hungry and heat it in the microwave.
Today’s chicken recipe is packed full of the flavors of chili, lime, garlic, and cilantro. The chicken should marinate in this zesty mix for 20 minutes or up to 8 hours. The general rule is the longer you marinate the chicken, the better. When you’re ready to cook the chicken, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the chicken. Don’t forget to cook some rice and sliced bell peppers to go along with the chicken.
Chili Lime Chicken and Rice Meal Prep Bowls
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs (or 4 small pieces)
- 2 cups sliced bell peppers (optional)
- 4 cups cooked rice of choice
- For the chicken marinade:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or juice of 1 lime)
- 2 teaspoons lime zest (zest of 1 lime)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced or crush
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- To Cook Chicken: In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade. Add the chicken and mix until fully coated. Preheat grill or skillet to medium-high; grease with a little oil. Transfer chicken to pan and discard remaining marinade. Grill chicken for 5-8 minutes on each side or until cooked through.Cool chicken for 5 minutes then slice.
- Remove chicken from the pan and immediately add sliced bell peppers to the same pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until charred.
- Let everything come to room temperature before assembling the meal prep boxes. To assemble, Add 1 cup of cooked rice into 4 meal prep containers. Divide chicken and bell peppers into each box. Shut the lid and refrigerate for up to four days.