I know I’m going a little overboard with Mexican food this month so I’m going to use Cinco De Mayo as an excuse.
Last time I shared my chicken burrito bowls they were a huge hit so I decided to share my all-time favorite steak burrito bowl recipe. It’s similar to the chicken burrito bowl except the chicken and steak are marinated in different spices.
For the chicken bowls I used a chipotle marinade which is red and spicy and for the Steak, I used my quick and easy cilantro lime marinade. You can use either marinade for the chicken or steak but I find the cilantro marinade so much better on steak because of the cilantro lime combo.
What I love about burritos bowls is that they are really easy to put together and are also very budget friendly. You can feed the entire family with just 3-4 steaks because you also have the wonderful mixture of beans, rice and veggies.
Another great thing about these bowls is that you can chop the veggies and marinate the steak ahead of time, then throw the steak on the grill as needed. Also, these bowls can be eaten hot or cold so that’s a plus for me!
The steak should be marinated for 2-3 hours but you can also be marinated it on the spot and it still tastes amazing. After cooking the steak allow it to rest for at least 5 minutes because cutting. After the steak has rested cut it into small bite-size squares.
I’m would be lying if I told you I didn’t munch on a few pieces of steak while I was cutting it. But hey, who’s counting..
For the cilantro lime marinade chop the cilantro, jalapenos, and garlic and bled them in the food processor with olive oil and lime juice. You can get the full recipe here with step by step pictures.
Better Than Chipotle Homemade Steak Burrito Bowls
- 4 3-ounce steaks, boneless any cut
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- ½ cup Mexican blend or mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup sour cream (optional)
- ½ cup thinly sliced onions
- ½ cup thinly sliced bell peppers
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup black beans (canned)
- ½ cup yellow corn (canned)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 5-6 cups cooked cilantro lime rice
- Cilantro lime marinade
- Marinate the steak in the cilantro lime marinade for 2-3 hours in the fridge. If you are in a rush you can also marinate the steak and cook it right away. After the steak has marinated, heat a heavy duty pan or griddle and coat with 1 teaspoon of oil, cook the steaks for 2-3 minutes on each side then remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
After removing the steak from the pan add the sliced onions and bell peppers. be sure not to wash the pan in order to keep all the flavor of the steak. cook the onions and peppers for 2-5 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- While the steak is cooking chop the veggies and arrange along with the cilantro lime rice in a big bowl or platter. After the steak is cooked and cut layer the burrito bowls in small individual bowls. Place a layer of rice, a layer of beans, tomatoes, and corn, a layer of steak and onions, a layer of salad, and then top with a sprinkle of cheese and a teaspoon of sour cream.