Breadsticks have and will always be our favorite weekend throwback snack/dinner. I love them, my husband loves them and more importantly they are kid approved!
I usually make the regular cheesy bread sticks but recently started making this jalapeno popper version and boy it’s good! like seriously I can’t even describe how delicious these cheesy bread sticks are.
I used my favorite pizza dough for the base, you can make the pizza dough at home using my fail proof recipe or purchase your favorite dough from the supermarket. The Pillsbury crescent dough also works great if you are in a hurry!
If your going to make the dough from scratch here are a few tips you must now in order to make it super light and perfect: 1) make sure the water for the dough is nice and warm, it will activate the yeast and help the dough rise faster. 2) add a tablespoon of Greek yogurt or regular yogurt into the dough mixture, I don’t know why but my pizza dough comes out perfect every time I add the yogurt. It adds a ton of flavor and moisture to the base of the pizza or bread sticks. 3) be sure to brush the edges (crust) of the bread sticks with a light layer of oil before putting them in the oven. The oil helps the crust be golden and prevents it from becoming hard and stiff.
But wait! the biggest secret of all to this recipe is the jalapeno/cream cheese mixture which is used to top of the dough. It gives the bread sticks and extra layer or flavor, texture and moisture. You bit into them and the creamy flavor of the cream cheese and jalapenos burst onto your pallet. Oh sooo good!!
Jalapeno Popper Cheesy Breadsticks
- For the dough
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons yogurt I used Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- For the Cheesy jalapeno Bread Sticks
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated mild cheddar cheese
- 1 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 jalapenos seeded rinsed and diced
- For the Dough: Combine the yeast and warm water in a large mixing bowl, set aside for 5-8 minutes or until the yeast the yeast has activated and the mixture is bubbly. Add the salt, oil and half the flour and mix with a wooden spoon or in the stand mixture. Once the flour is fully incorporate remove the spatula and turn dough onto a floured board and knead for 5 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky. Place in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 60-90 minutes. Once the dough has doubled in size punch down and divide it in two. Each part will make one batch or bread sticks or a pizza.
- For the bread sticks: Preheat oven to 500 degrees. In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, cleaned and diced jalapenos (be sure to remove the seeds), and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese in a bowl with a fork. Set aside.
Roll out the pizza dough into a 12-14 inch square or circle. You can do this on parchment paper or in a pizza pan. Once the dough is rolled out top with half the cream cheese mixture and reserve the other half for the 2nd pie. Try to spread it as evenly as possible, it's okay if it doesn't spread well because it will melt and spread in the oven. Top with the cheddar cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake at 500F for 15-20 minutes or until the crust in puffed up and lightly golden. Remove from oven and cut into long strips. Serve warm alone or with your favorite dipping sauce.
And that is my new favorite cheesy bread sticks recipe; I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Have a great weekend folks! 🙂