Oh boy I don’t even know where to begin with this cheeseburger casserole. Okay one word.. yummilious! yeah I know it’s not a real word but that’s the only word I can think of that can possibility explain how amazing this cheeseburger casserole is.
If your a cheeseburger lover this casserole is for you. It’s like a big juicy cheeseburger right in a bowl.
This casserole is fairly easy to make and can be cooked and reheated as needed. I have a whole casserole dish in the fridge and my daughter just loves it.
The base is made with a beef and tomato mixture, combined with a layer of pasta ( any kind will work fine) then topped with mild chedder cheese and diced pickles (YUM!).
I love making casseroles because they re always easier to store and serve the entire family. It’s basically the whole meal in a nice big casserole dish. Grab some in a bowl and your good to go!
Cheeseburger CasserolePrint Rate
- 2 cups 6 oz uncooked rotelle pasta (any kind will work fine)
- 1 lb lean ground beef 90% lean
- 1 cup onions finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste or 1 cup marinara sauce
- 28 oz diced tomatoes or 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 cups reduced fat grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped dill pickles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente (about 5-7 minutes) and drain well.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until lightly golden and soft, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the beef and cook until browned; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the tomato paste or marinara sauce and tomatoes and mustard. Allow to cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- After the pasta and meat are cooked Toss the meat mixture with the pasta and spread it into the prepared dish. Top with the cheddar cheese and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cheesy is fully melted and the casserole is boiling in the edges. Remove from oven and Sprinkle the chopped pickles over the top and serve.
adapted from: skinny taste