Burrito bowls loaded with chipotle grilled chicken, beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, cheese, and corn. These burrito bowls are super easy to make and tastes a lot better homemade!
Wednesdays just got a whole lot better! Who wouldn’t want this fresh and flavor-packed burrito bowl on their lunch break?
So let me tell you how it all started… My husband and I are huge fans of chipotle right, so I decided to go and try out Chiptole’s biggest competitor, Qdoba. Other than the fact that it’s just a few blocks away from my house, I really wanted to try them out because they don’t charge extra for guacamole and they have queso.
I arrived there and it’s JUST like Chipotle. I ordered the chicken burrito bowl; they offered cilantro lime rice and brown rice (just like chipotle). I went with the chipotle lime because it’s my personal favorite. Topped my burrito bowl with everything; Chicken, Pico de gallo, salsa, fiesta corn, black beans, guacamole, and shredded cheese.
If you’ve been there you know how GOOD it feels to get that big bowl stuffed to the top with a whole bunch of delicious fresh food.
The verdict.. it was AMAZING. I honestly can’t compare it with Chipotle because they both tasted just as good!
So I went home and decided to replicate the recipe because burrito bowls are great on the go. I usually make a few bowls and store them in the fridge for the week. I place the hot ingredients in one bowl (rice, chicken, beans, etc..) and the cold ingredients in another bowl (salad, sour cream, guacamole, cheese) so that when we heat it up we heat up the hot bowl and then toss the cold salad on top.
Plus, you can actually place all the ingredients into a large tortilla and turn this whole dish into a burrito instead!
The basic essentials are the rice, chicken (or steak), beans, pico de gallo, and then you can top off the bowl with guacamole, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, cheese, corn, etc..
Go ahead, I highly recommend everyone try burrito bowls because once you do I promise there’s no going back!
Copycat Qdoba Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Pico de Gallo Salsa Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped (about half a medium onion)
- 1 cup roma tomatoes diced (about 4 to 5 tomatoes)
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped (about 1/2 cups)
- 1 diced jalapeño optional
- juice of a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the Rice
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ lime
- bunch of cilantro
- Burrito Bowl ingredients
- 4 cups cooked and diced Qdoba Chicken breasts click for recipe
- 1 can 15 oz. canned corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped lettuce any type
- Optional toppings: Cheese sour cream, guacamole, grilled veggies, salsa
- Wash rice in a large bowl under cold water for 2-5 minutes until the water runs clear. Allow to soak for at least 5 minutes. Boil 3.5 cups of water in a large sauce pan, pour rice and let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until the water has dried into the rice and the rice is soft. Place 2 tablespoons of butter on the rice to melt with the heat off, Cover and set aside.The cilantro and lemon will be added later before serving. begin working on the chicken while the rice is cooking.
- Pico de gallo: While the rice and chicken are cooking, diced all the ingredients for the pico de gallo, salt and pepper to taste and combine in a small bowl. set aside in the fridge.
- To Assemble: When the rice and chicken are done, assemble your Burrito Bowls. Start with rice in the bottom of the bowl, then top with the chicken, pico de gallo, beans, corn lettuce and any other ingredients you’re using (guacamole, sour-cream, cheese)