I’ve shared a few rice bowls in the past– the Chipotle’s Chicken Burrito Bowl with Cilantro Lime Rice, the Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken Gyro Bowls and let’s not forget the Chipotle Homemade Steak Burrito Bowls.
Yes, I’m a little obsessed with rice bowls, but it’s only because they are so delicious. Not to mention easy to put together and (usually) healthy!
If you’ve made my other rice bowl rice you know how good they are. This steak bowl is a quicker and easier version. It’s a perfect weeknight dinner.
You can prepare the rice ahead of time, store it in the fridge and make the steak and shoestring fries as needed. How crispy do these fries look?!
I grated them using a cheese grater and fried them until they became light golden brown. They added extra texture and flavor to the bowls. Feel free to add your salad of choice to the bowls. I had mine with a side of spring salad and ranch dressing. Enjoy! 🙂
- For the Steak
- 2, 3 oz boneless steaks any cut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- salad mix of your choice I used spring salad
- For the Shoestring Fries
- 2 Yukon Gold medium potatoes
- Canola oil for deep-frying
- Salt & Pepper
- For the Rice
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 1 1/2 + cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Rice:Wash rice in a large bowl under cold water for 2-5 minutes until the water runs clear. Allow to soak for at least 5 minutes. Boil 1 1/2 cups of water in a large sauce pan, pour rice and let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until the water has evaporated into the rice and the rice is soft, if the rice is not yet soft add 1/4 cup more water and allow to simmer for another 3 minutes or until almost dry. Place 1 tablespoon of butter on the rice to melt, with the heat off, Cover and set aside.
- For the Fries:
- Heat 2-3 inches oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed, deep pot. Bring to 365 degrees. (It is important to use a deep-fry thermometer.)
- Peel the potatoes, grate using a cheese grater, be careful not to cut your hand. Then place in water for 3-5 minutes (or more), take the potatoes out of the water and place on paper towels to dry.
Pat potatoes dry and carefully pour the potatoes into the oil. Fry the potatoes until they are golden and crispy, approximately 5 minutes. Stir often and be careful not to burn them. They will remain soft and light and then suddenly become golden. Scoop the potatoes from the hot oil with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate or pan covered with paper towels. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- For the Steak:
- Heat a heavy duty pan or skillet to high heat. While the pan is heating ( about 1 minute) sprinkle the steaks with the salt and pepper on both sides. Be sure to fully cover them with the black pepper, it will act as a crust and give the steaks a crispy exterior. Add the butter to the pan and then add the steaks right away. Cook for 2-3 minutes then flip and add the garlic. Cook for another 2-3 minutes for a medium rare (2 minutes on each side). Remove from pan and let rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting.
- To assemble:
- Pour the rice into 2 large bowls or 4 small bowls, top with the sliced steak. Add about 1/2 cup of shoestring fries to each bowl and 1/4 cup of salad. Add dressing of your choice, I used ranch. Enjoy! 🙂
I used my brand new Joesph Joesph cutting board to make last night’s dinner. This cutting board is simply amazing. It’s four non-slip colour-coded chopping boards for meats, poultry, veggies, and hot foods. It’s designed to reduce the likelihood of cross-contamination of different food types.
I have to admit I haven’t always used separate cutting boards for cutting different food types because it’s hard to keep track of different cutting boards so this board is a life saver for me.
Oh I almost forgot to mention my fave part! I also received this cool chop2pot cutting board that can fold so you can pour the food ( or whatever your cutting) into the pan/pot without making a mess.
Joesph Joesph features a ton of innovative products that you won’t find anywhere else. Don’t forget to check out all their other products but I’m warning you, your going to fall in love with everything in their shop!