Tender salmon with cilantro, lime, avocado and tomato salsa. This healthy and flavorful meal is bursting with flavor, color, and texture and is ready in under 20 minutes. It can be grilled, pan seared or baked!
Cooking salmon for dinner is always convenient because it cooks super fast and makes a healthy dinner in minutes. One of the biggest mistakes people make when cooking salmon is over-cooking it. Salmon is very delicate and can easily over-cook. The trick to making perfectly cooked salmon is to season it well and cook it on medium-high just until almost cooked through. It will continue to cook after it is removed from the heat.
For this recipe, the salmon is coated with a chili, garlic, cilantro and olive oil rub. It can then be grilled, baked or pan seared just until the outside is nice and crispy (I cooked my salmon in a pan on the stove-top). You can use skin on or off depending on your preference. To make this a complete dish, the salmon is topped with a flavor-packed avocado and tomato salsa. The salsa comes together in minutes and makes a great addition to the salmon. Serve the salmon and avocado with rice, on salad greens or alone like I did!
- 2 4-6 oz salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the avocado salsa
- 1 ripe avocado pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup tomato diced (any type of tomato)
- 2 tablespoons onion diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stir the olive oil, garlic, and spices in a small bowl. Brush or rub salmon with the spice mixture.
- Heat a large heavy-duty (preferably non-stick) pan or grill medium-high heat. Add salmon to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan, top with avocado salsa and serve immediately.
- To make the avocado salsa:Add the avocado, tomato, onion, and cilantro to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, fresh lime juice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Gently mix with a spoon until fully combined. Cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve.