Tender salmon with cilantro, lime, avocado, and tomato salsa. This healthy and flavorful meal is bursting with flavor, color, and texture and is ready in under 20 minutes. It can be grilled, pan-seared or baked!
Cooking salmon for dinner is always convenient because it cooks super fast and makes a healthy dinner in minutes. One of the biggest mistakes people make when cooking salmon is over-cooking it. Salmon is very delicate and can easily over-cook. The trick to making perfectly cooked salmon is to season it well and cook it on medium-high just until almost cooked through. It will continue to cook after it is removed from the heat.
How to Make Grilled Salmon
For this recipe, the salmon is coated with a chili, garlic, cilantro, and olive oil rub.
Begin by whisking all the ingredients for the rub in a small bowl. Next, generously coat the salmon with the mixture.
After this step, you can go ahead and use it right away or place it in the fridge to marinate for up to 2 hours.
It can then be grilled, baked, or pan-seared just until the outside is nice and crispy (I cooked my salmon in a pan on the stove-top).
You can use skin on or off depending on your preference. To make this a complete dish, the salmon is topped with a flavor-packed avocado and tomato salsa.
The salsa comes together in minutes and makes a great addition to the salmon. Serve the salmon and avocado with rice, on salad greens, or alone like I did!
Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa (Healthy, Low-Carb, Paleo, Whole30)
For the avocado salsa
- 1 ripe avocado pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup tomato diced (any type of tomato)
- 2 tablespoons onion diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stir the olive oil, garlic, and spices in a small bowl. Brush or rub salmon with the spice mixture.
- Heat a large heavy-duty (preferably non-stick) pan or grill medium-high heat. Add salmon to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan, top with avocado salsa and serve immediately.
- To make the avocado salsa:Add the avocado, tomato, onion, and cilantro to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, fresh lime juice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Gently mix with a spoon until fully combined. Cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve.