Tomatillo, avocado, cilantro, and jalapeno whipped into a guacamole like creamy salsa. This salsa is great in burritos, tacos, bowls or for dipping chips!
If your like most people, you’ve probably never quite figured out how to use tomatillos. You may have seen them in the supermarket and wondered what those green tomatoes are used for. Well this the perfect way to try them out.
This avocado and tomatillo salsa is unlike any other salsa you’ve had before. It’s creamy and looks very much like guacamole which makes it great for dipping. It requires no cooking at all and comes together in under 5 minutes. It’s great on tacos, burritos, salads, steak, or chicken.
To make the salsa, simply pulse tomatillos, avocado, Serrano or jalapeno pepper, onion, garlic, cilantro, and lime in your food processor until it reaches a chunky/creamy texture.
- 2 small tomatillos chopped rinsed husked tomatillos (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeno pepper with seeds or Serrano pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped white or red onion
- 1 clover garlic peeled
- 1 large avocado halved, peeled, pitted, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place tomatillos, jalapeno pepper, onion and garlic in the food processor. Pulse for a few seconds or until minced. Add the avocado, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Pulse for 1 minute the mixture is smooth but still chunky.
- Store salsa int he fridge in mason jars or cover with plastic wrap.
Kristin Flores-Brockman says
Really good! Can this be frozen?
Veronica Velasquez says
This was terrific. My whole family loved it. I added a little extra salt and a little less serano.
Thanks for the inspiration! I blistered and roasted the tomatillos and jalapeno beforehand, but otherwise did exactly as in the instructions, and it came out great!