Soft and chewy healthy oatmeal cookies are made with oats, honey, coconut oil, chopped nuts, raisins, chocolate chips, and much more! They’re super nutritious and make a great snack or even breakfast.
It’s almost impossible to turn down cookies of any kind! But when it comes to these easy oatmeal cookies, I’m in food heaven. They are simple to throw together, and you don’t even need to feel guilty when eating them because they are much healthier than traditional oatmeal cookies. Because they are sweetened with honey or maple syrup depending on your preference, they aren’t filled with refined sugars. That is a huge advantage!
Another reason why I’m infatuated with these cookies is that you can do so many things with them. Don’t like coconut oil? No problem, use butter instead! Just ran out of honey? Easy fix, use some maple syrup. Additionally, you can add in any of your favorite ingredients too!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE HEALTHY OATMEAL COOKIES
- Honey: These oatmeal cookies are perfectly sweet with a little bit of honey. You can also substitute maple syrup if you’d rather.
- Coconut oil: Make sure the coconut oil is melted when preparing the oatmeal cookies. You can also swap out the coconut oil for butter.
- Egg: One large egg will do the trick and bind the wet and dry ingredients together beautifully.
- Instant Oats: To get the best texture and flavor combination, reach for instant oatmeal over old-fashioned oats.
- Whole wheat flour: I love the flavor of using whole wheat flour in these cookies! However, you can also use all-purpose flour if you don’t have any wheat flour on hand. Super-versatile recipe!
- Baking powder: Just a little bit, and these cookies with rise perfectly.
- Cinnamon: There is just something amazing about combining cinnamon with oatmeal. It’s a match made in heaven.
- Salt: Bring out the sweetness with a dash of salt!
- Chocolate chips: Adding chocolate chips makes the cookies almost sinful. And if you don’t like chocolate in your cookies, you can skip it!
- Add-Ins: When it comes to add-ins, I have tried a variety of ideas. Raisins, chopped pecans, walnuts, and cranberries are my favorites, but you can choose anything you like! Just don’t add more than 1/4 cup.
HOW TO MAKE EASY OATMEAL COOKIES
Not only will you be impressed with the amazing flavor of these healthy oatmeal cookies, but how easy they are to make too! Start off by preparing a baking sheet and preheating the oven.
Mix together the honey, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl. Then add all the dry ingredients to a separate medium-sized bowl. Slowly pour the dry ingredients in with the wet and mix.
Use a cookie scoop and place cookies on the baking sheet. Flatten the cookies, so they are 3/4″ thick and bake for 10 minutes. Let the cookies rest 5 – 10 minutes on the baking sheet then serve!
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF OATMEAL?
There are so many fantastic health benefits to eating oatmeal. Adding oats to your diet is a healthy way to get more fiber, magnesium, iron, zinc, folate, protein, and more. Plus, they are an excellent source of antioxidants too.
In addition to all the nutrients and antioxidants, oatmeal is also naturally gluten-free. So, if you eat a gluten-free diet, you can easily add them in! It’s important to note that if you are gluten-free that you make sure that they are certified gluten-free because otherwise there could have been some gluten cross-contamination.
HOW DO YOU STORE HEALTHY OATMEAL COOKIES?
You should always store homemade oatmeal cookies in an airtight container. They will last 4-5 days in your pantry or all the way up to 6 months in the freezer. They are perfect for doubling the batch and having leftovers for later! Or making ahead when you want a sweet treat for an event or party.
It’s important to keep the oatmeal cookies away from heat sources like the stove, moisture, and direct sunlight.
The Best Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup can use 1/2 cup for sweeter cookies
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup instant oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, foil or silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the honey, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla. In a medium bowl whisk, all the dry ingredients then stir them into the wet mixture.
- Drop cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet using a medium-large cookie scoop and flatten to about ¾’’ thickness. Bake 10 minutes then allow in the pan for at least 5-10 minutes and enjoy!